Oracle Strikes Buyout Deal With PeopleSoft
December 14, 2004
After an ugly 18-month fight to remain independent, software maker PeopleSoft agreed to a buyout offer from Oracle Corporation this week. The two makers of personnel and financial management software have a large presence on campuses worldwide. The merger will have significant impact on institutional customers, particularly those running PeopleSoft’s enterprise management products. PeopleSoft has approximately 600 higher education customers in the United States.
While Oracle has many campus customers for its database and accounting software, the company has only a handful of campuses that have purchased its enterprise resource planning software. Most campuses running an ERP system either use PeopleSoft or have constructed their own integrated administrative computing systems.
Many current PeopleSoft campus customers fear that support of PeopleSoft products will erode following the merger, and that institutions will be forced to implement Oracle products despite the company’s claims to the contrary. The Higher Education Users Group, made up of 345 PeopleSoft higher education customers, has been adamantly opposed to the merger since the first offer from Oracle in 2002.
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis