Oracle Strikes Buyout Deal With PeopleSoft
December 14, 2004
After an ugly 18-month fight to remain independent, software maker PeopleSoft agreed to a buyout offer from Oracle Corporation this week. The two makers of personnel and financial management software have a large presence on campuses worldwide. The merger will have significant impact on institutional customers, particularly those running PeopleSoft’s enterprise management products. PeopleSoft has approximately 600 higher education customers in the United States.
While Oracle has many campus customers for its database and accounting software, the company has only a handful of campuses that have purchased its enterprise resource planning software. Most campuses running an ERP system either use PeopleSoft or have constructed their own integrated administrative computing systems.
Many current PeopleSoft campus customers fear that support of PeopleSoft products will erode following the merger, and that institutions will be forced to implement Oracle products despite the company’s claims to the contrary. The Higher Education Users Group, made up of 345 PeopleSoft higher education customers, has been adamantly opposed to the merger since the first offer from Oracle in 2002.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis