Higher Ed Community Files Brief on Monitoring of Internet Communications
January 28, 2006
A group of higher education associations, including EDUCAUSE, the American Council on Education, and NACUBO, filed a brief with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), appealing a ruling that would require colleges and universities to upgrade their electronic communications systems, with a potential price tag of billions of dollars for campuses nationwide.
The brief appeals the FCC’s application of the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) to cover facilities-based broadband Internet service providers, including colleges and universities. CALEA requires telephone companies to ensure that their networks do not hamper the ability of law enforcement agencies to effectuate wiretaps. Last August, the FCC adopted a ruling extending the scope of CALEA to include all "facilities-based" Internet service providers.
While the FCC's order focused on commercial entities, it specified that colleges and universities that operate private broadband networks would be subject to the new rules, as long as they "support" a connection to the Internet. It is generally believed that CALEA compliance would be extremely costly for campuses and educational and research networks.
The higher education community has worked to overturn the original ruling since April of 2004, when a coalition of associations filed comments to the FCC. Since then, additional comments have been filed and meetings have been held with Congress, the FCC and the Department of Justice to work out a solution that would support law enforcement without placing an undue burden on the networks of colleges and universities throughout the country.
Oral argument is scheduled for May 5 in the 10th District Court of Appeals in Washington, DC, with a decision expected to be issued by FCC later in 2006.
Resource link: EDUCAUSE
NACUBO contact: Mary M. Bachinger
- NACUBO Responds to FASB's NFP Proposal
- Results Are In: The 2014 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
- NLRB Dismisses Union Bid from Northwestern Football Players
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
- ON-DEMAND: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis