Examining the Risks of Operating in the CloudThe effectiveness of your information technology environment impacts virtually every business and academic process. NACUBO strives to surface late-breaking trends and resources to keep you up to date. We also collaborate heavily with EDUCAUSE, the association for professionals who plan and manage technology in higher education.
College and University Business Administration, 7th Edition - Information Technology
This chapter addresses, from a business officer perspective, the major issues affecting the selection, deployment, use, and financing of information technology. The focus is on topics that are of interest to business officers because they have institutional, functional, and financial impact. Topics covered include IT governance and funding, managing IT costs and effectiveness, enterprise computing, security, the policy environment, academic technologies, and disaster recovery and business continuity.
Examining the Risks of Operating in the Cloud - a webcast scheduled for Wednesday, September 28th will discuss common pitfalls, information security strategies, compliance issues with state and federal regulations and how to manage risks as more assets move to the cloud. Webcast registrants will receive an advance copy of the white paper, "Managing the Risks of Operating in the Cloud," authored by webcast presenter Philip D. Porter and Michael E. Larner, of Hogan Lovells law firm.
The Business Case for the Cloud - a webcast recorded on May 20th can help you gain a better understanding of your integration needs and how finance officers and technology chiefs might work together to make the best decisions for their institutions. Participants recieved access to an advance copy of the white paper, Capturing the Cloud, Defining the Business Case, authored by SunGard Higher Education. This is the first in a series of white papers and webcasts, that will discuss driving trends, near-term concerns including risk, security, and governance issues; uncertainty about return on investment and service provider certification; and questions regarding which business and academic activities are best suited for the cloud.
Key Findings of EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop - In February 2010, chief information officers, chief business officers, and industry leaders gathered in Tempe, Arizona, for a two-day EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop to explore what shape a higher education cloud might take and to identify opportunities and models for partnerships. A white paper entitled Shaping the Higher Education Cloud captures key findings from the workshop, including recommendations for cloud action.
- IT Essentials: General information and Business Officer articles, more information about EDUCAUSE services, too.
- Privacy: Colleges and universities have an obligation to protect sensitive information and to prevent their systems from being used for attacks on others.
- FCC Reminds Institutions to Report the Use of Selected Frequencies
(September 10, 2012)
- Key Findings of EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop
(June 15, 2010)
- ED Releases NPRM on General and Non Loan Issues
(August 21, 2009)
- Role of IT in Emergency Management Examined
(October 23, 2008)
- Study Identifies Challenges in IT Security and Crisis Management
(November 13, 2007)
- Number of Online Learners Continues to Grow, But Pace Slows
(October 30, 2007)
- College Search Sites Speak to Calls for Accountability
(October 2, 2007)
- Wired Undergraduates
(October 2, 2007)
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
(June 27, 2007)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- What’s Next for Text?
- On Balance
- Multimedia Makeover
- Bottom-Drawer Security
- High Tech, High Stakes
- A Beneficial Bet
- Putting IT in Order
- Intelligence Quotient
- Get Your Head Into the Cloud
- Power Potential
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis