The effectiveness of your information technology environment impacts virtually every business and academic process. NACUBO strives to surface late-breaking trends and resources to keep you up to date. We also collaborate heavily with EDUCAUSE, the association for professionals who plan and manage technology in higher education.
In September 2013, NACUBO and EDUCAUSE convened a joint working group to explore how to maximize the cost-effectiveness of campus administrative IT systems. The NACUBO/EDUCAUSE Working Group on Administrative Services and Systems—Final Report describes the group's deliberations and key findings.
College and University Business Administration, 7th Edition - Information Technology
This chapter addresses, from a business officer perspective, the major issues affecting the selection, deployment, use, and financing of information technology. The focus is on topics that are of interest to business officers because they have institutional, functional, and financial impact. Topics covered include IT governance and funding, managing IT costs and effectiveness, enterprise computing, security, the policy environment, academic technologies, and disaster recovery and business continuity.
Examining the Risks of Operating in the Cloud — this webcast discussed common pitfalls, information security strategies, compliance issues with state and federal regulations and how to manage risks as more assets move to the cloud. Webcast registrants received an advance copy of the white paper, "Managing the Risks of Operating in the Cloud," authored by webcast presenter Philip D. Porter and Michael E. Larner, of Hogan Lovells law firm. (Recorded September 28, 2011)
The Business Case for the Cloud — this webcast can help you gain a better understanding of your integration needs and how finance officers and technology chiefs might work together to make the best decisions for their institutions. Participants recieved access to an advance copy of the white paper, Capturing the Cloud, Defining the Business Case, authored by SunGard Higher Education. This is the first in a series of white papers and webcasts, that will discuss driving trends, near-term concerns including risk, security, and governance issues; uncertainty about return on investment and service provider certification; and questions regarding which business and academic activities are best suited for the cloud. (Recorded May 20, 2011)
Key Findings of EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop - In February 2010, chief information officers, chief business officers, and industry leaders gathered in Tempe, Arizona, for a two-day EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop to explore what shape a higher education cloud might take and to identify opportunities and models for partnerships. A white paper entitled Shaping the Higher Education Cloud captures key findings from the workshop, including recommendations for cloud action.
- IT Essentials: General information and Business Officer articles, more information about EDUCAUSE services, too.
- Privacy: Colleges and universities have an obligation to protect sensitive information and to prevent their systems from being used for attacks on others.
- FCC Reminds Institutions to Report the Use of Selected Frequencies
(September 10, 2012)
- Key Findings of EDUCAUSE/NACUBO Cloud Computing Workshop
(June 15, 2010)
- ED Releases NPRM on General and Non Loan Issues
(August 21, 2009)
- Role of IT in Emergency Management Examined
(October 23, 2008)
- Study Identifies Challenges in IT Security and Crisis Management
(November 13, 2007)
- Number of Online Learners Continues to Grow, But Pace Slows
(October 30, 2007)
- College Search Sites Speak to Calls for Accountability
(October 2, 2007)
- Wired Undergraduates
(October 2, 2007)
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
(June 27, 2007)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Classrooms in Wonderland
- Cyber Sourcing
- No Quandaries About Boundaries
- Mind the MOOCs
- Salman Khan Shakes Up the Classroom
- Ingredients for an IT Fix
- What’s Next for Text?
- On Balance
- Multimedia Makeover
- Bottom-Drawer Security
- Recent Executive Orders Aimed at Pay Gaps and Overtime Expansion
- New GASB Concepts Address Measurement
- Behind the Costs of a College Degree
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis