Taxpayer Resources Available on Education Tax Credits and Benefits
January 28, 2013
As tax season begins and institutions send out Forms 1098-T, the IRS is promoting new tools to draw students and families' attention to higher education tax breaks, as well as resources to help them understand the federal tax credits and deductions they may be eligible to claim on their tax returns.
Publication 4772 is a one-page flyer briefly describing the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), with a link to additional information. It is intended to be handed out or mailed to students or posted around campus. The IRS has also developed the Interactive Tax Assistant, an online progression of questions to help taxpayers determine their eligibility for either the AOTC, the Lifetime Learning Credit, or the above-the-line deduction for tuition and fees.
Director, Tax Policy
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO