Taxpayer Resources Available on Education Tax Credits and Benefits
January 28, 2013
As tax season begins and institutions send out Forms 1098-T, the IRS is promoting new tools to draw students and families' attention to higher education tax breaks, as well as resources to help them understand the federal tax credits and deductions they may be eligible to claim on their tax returns.
Publication 4772 is a one-page flyer briefly describing the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), with a link to additional information. It is intended to be handed out or mailed to students or posted around campus. The IRS has also developed the Interactive Tax Assistant, an online progression of questions to help taxpayers determine their eligibility for either the AOTC, the Lifetime Learning Credit, or the above-the-line deduction for tuition and fees.
Director, Tax Policy
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
- New GASB Standard Tackles Fiduciary Activities
- New Report Details Charitable Giving to Colleges and Universities
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference