Taxpayer Resources Available on Education Tax Credits and Benefits
January 28, 2013
As tax season begins and institutions send out Forms 1098-T, the IRS is promoting new tools to draw students and families' attention to higher education tax breaks, as well as resources to help them understand the federal tax credits and deductions they may be eligible to claim on their tax returns.
Publication 4772 is a one-page flyer briefly describing the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), with a link to additional information. It is intended to be handed out or mailed to students or posted around campus. The IRS has also developed the Interactive Tax Assistant, an online progression of questions to help taxpayers determine their eligibility for either the AOTC, the Lifetime Learning Credit, or the above-the-line deduction for tuition and fees.
Director, Tax Policy
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET