Supreme Court Upholds Regulations Denying Student FICA Exception to Medical Residents
January 14, 2011
The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the IRS regulations making medical residents ineligible for the student exemption from FICA withholding. The Court concluded that the 2005 rule excluding medical residents was a reasonable interpretation of the underlying statute, which was silent on the matter.
In the case, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research v. United States, Mayo was appealing a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals of the Eighth Circuit which upheld an IRS regulation stating that stipends paid to medical residents working more than 40 hours per week are subject to employment taxes.
The ruling ends an ongoing dispute over the treatment of medical residents for purposes of the student exemption from FICA withholding. Chief Justice Roberts wrote the unanimous opinion, stating,
“We do not doubt that Mayo's residents are engaged in a valuable educational pursuit or that they are students of their craft. The question whether they are ‘students’ for purposes of §3121, however, is a different matter. Because it is one to which Congress has not directly spoken, and because the Treasury Department's rule is a reasonable construction of what Congress has said, the judgment of the Court of Appeals must be affirmed.”
The Supreme Court’s decision upholds the regulations that became effective April 1, 2005. Refund claims for FICA withheld by medical schools prior to April 1, 2005, are currently being processed for settlement by the U.S. Justice Department, for institutions that filed timely claims with the IRS for amounts of medical resident FICA paid prior to that date.
Director, Tax Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis