Regional NLRB Rules on Northwestern Football Players
April 3, 2014
The Regional Director of the National Labor Relations Board in Chicago recently ruled that scholarship football players at Northwestern University are "employees" under the National Labor Relations Act. The rationales for the ruling were the amount of revenue the players generated for the university and time spent by athletes on football-related activities versus academic activities.
The decision applies only to football scholarship athletes at private institutions. If the regional decision is not overturned on appeal, the players with scholarships will be able to vote on whether they want the College Athletes Players Association to represent them for purposes of collective bargaining.
In a March 26 statement, Northwestern University's vice president for university relations, Alan Cubbage, announced the institution's respectful disagreement with the decision and its plans to appeal the case to the full National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C.
Director, Tax Policy
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis