Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
November 15, 2013
As the end of the year approaches, colleges and universities are gearing up for the annual preparation and filing of IRS Forms 1098-T. Each year, NACUBO receives many inquiries from members seeking to accurately report student account information to students and families, as well as to the Internal Revenue Service, as required.
To help simplify perennial areas of confusion, as well as promote common industry practices in higher education, we have developed Advisory Report 2013-2. The report—the product of a task force comprising members from NACUBO's Student Financial Services and Tax Councils—has been reviewed by dozens of campus student financial service administrators. It represents our best effort at clarifying the two most challenging components of the form: which types of institutional charges to report (and not report) in Boxes 1 or 2 (amounts paid/charged for qualified tuition and related expenses) and how to report grant aid in Box 5.
The report is intended to help institutions streamline their approach to the annual information reporting requirement and serve as a reference for staff involved in preparing Forms 1098-T. NACUBO is engaged in several efforts to improve the quality of the information available to students and their families to help them understand and claim education tax credits. Encouraging greater consistency across institutions is one step toward this goal.
Last month NACUBO published another report about IRS Form 1098-T that focuses on the notices of proposed fines many colleges and universities have received. NACUBO continues to work with outside counsel to advocate within the IRS for a broad resolution to that issue and will report any significant developments.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
Director, Tax Policy
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis