Notice 2007-45 Explains New 990-T Disclosure Requirement
May 15, 2007
IRS has published Notice 2007-45, outlining interim guidance on the new requirement for 501(c)(3) organizations to disclose the Form 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Return.
The requirement for 990-T disclosure was added to the Code by the Pension Protection Act of 2006. Higher education institutions that are exempt under section 501(c)(3) must make available for public inspection the annual Form 990-T in its entirety, along with all supporting documents, schedules, and attachments. If requested, organizations must provide copies without charge other than a reasonable fee to cover copying and mailing.
The notice also explains that the new requirement does not extend to colleges and universities that have not been recognized by the IRS as exempt under section 501(c)(3). If a public college or university has what is commonly called "dual status" -- meaning its tax-exempt status derives from its existence as an instrumentality of the state and the institution has also obtained 501(c)(3) status from the IRS---it must disclose the Form 990-T.
Public comments on the notice are due by June 30, 2007. Please share with us any comments submitted to IRS by your institution (send a copy to email@example.com).
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis