New ITIN Application Procedures from IRS
November 30, 2012
IRS announced final modifications to procedures and requirements aimed at strengthening the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) program. These new procedures will be effective January 1, 2013.
A key change is that for the first time, ITINs will expire after five years. Taxpayers still requiring an ITIN will be able to reapply at the end of the expiration period.
Under the new procedures, ITIN applications will continue to require original documentation or copies certified by the issuing agency. IRS will not accept notarized copies of documents for ITINs; however, outlets other than the IRS centralized ITIN processing site will be available to provide an alternative to mailing in passports, visas, and other original documents.
For colleges and universities, the final procedures also adopt special clarifications issued in October allowing eligible taxpayers to have their original documents certified by a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) or a Student Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP)-approved institution rather than mailing originals to the IRS. Extension filers that choose not to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency must apply through a CAA, while individuals studying under the SEVP will be required to apply through a university, college, or other SEVP-approved institution. For both groups, these temporary procedures cover ITIN applications for the primary applicant, their spouse, and dependents.
The IRS plans to release additional information related to the ITIN application process later this month.
Director, Tax Policy
- Comments on Form 1098-T Reporting Due Soon
- New ITIN Procedures For Certifying Acceptance Agents and International Students
- Higher Education Community Offers Comments on Web Accessibility Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives