New ITIN Application Procedures from IRS
November 30, 2012
IRS announced final modifications to procedures and requirements aimed at strengthening the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) program. These new procedures will be effective January 1, 2013.
A key change is that for the first time, ITINs will expire after five years. Taxpayers still requiring an ITIN will be able to reapply at the end of the expiration period.
Under the new procedures, ITIN applications will continue to require original documentation or copies certified by the issuing agency. IRS will not accept notarized copies of documents for ITINs; however, outlets other than the IRS centralized ITIN processing site will be available to provide an alternative to mailing in passports, visas, and other original documents.
For colleges and universities, the final procedures also adopt special clarifications issued in October allowing eligible taxpayers to have their original documents certified by a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) or a Student Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP)-approved institution rather than mailing originals to the IRS. Extension filers that choose not to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency must apply through a CAA, while individuals studying under the SEVP will be required to apply through a university, college, or other SEVP-approved institution. For both groups, these temporary procedures cover ITIN applications for the primary applicant, their spouse, and dependents.
The IRS plans to release additional information related to the ITIN application process later this month.
Director, Tax Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis