NACUBO Submits Comments to IRS on Three Percent Withholding Requirement
April 30, 2008
On April 24, NACUBO filed comments to IRS in response to Notice 2008-38. The notice addresses implementation of a requirement, added by section 511 of the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 (TIPRA), for governmental entities, including public colleges and universities, to withhold three percent on payments for goods and services.
In addition to addressing specific questions set forth in the notice about how to implement section 511, the NACUBO letter also expressed grave concerns with the underlying law, which is scheduled to go into effect beginning in 2011. Five higher education associations (AACC, AASCU, AAU, ACE, and NASULGC) endorsed NACUBO’s April 24 comment letter.
The recently House-passed Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719) includes a one-year postponement of the provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis