NACUBO Submits Comments to IRS on Three Percent Withholding Requirement
April 30, 2008
On April 24, NACUBO filed comments to IRS in response to Notice 2008-38. The notice addresses implementation of a requirement, added by section 511 of the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 (TIPRA), for governmental entities, including public colleges and universities, to withhold three percent on payments for goods and services.
In addition to addressing specific questions set forth in the notice about how to implement section 511, the NACUBO letter also expressed grave concerns with the underlying law, which is scheduled to go into effect beginning in 2011. Five higher education associations (AACC, AASCU, AAU, ACE, and NASULGC) endorsed NACUBO’s April 24 comment letter.
The recently House-passed Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719) includes a one-year postponement of the provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis