NACUBO Comments on Draft Instructions for New Form 990
June 11, 2008
The redesigned Form 990 and instructions will be in effect for tax year 2008 (returns that will be filed in 2009). The final version of the new Form 990 was published late last year. This spring, the IRS released the accompanying instructions in draft form, inviting public comments. NACUBO assembled a team of business officers and campus tax directors to review, analyze, and develop recommended changes to the draft instructions. NACUBO also urged the IRS to create an advisory panel to foster an ongoing dialogue with exempt organizations about the Form 990.
The NACUBO comment letter, endorsed by 14 higher educations, offers numerous detailed recommendations for specific portions of the instructions for the Core Form 990 and several of the accompanying schedules, including:
- Schedule D, Supplemental Financial Statements;
- Schedule F, Statement of Activities Outside the U.S.;
- Schedule K, Supplemental Information on Tax Exempt Bonds;
- Schedule M, Noncash Contributions; and
- Schedule R, Related Organizations and Unrelated Partnerships.
A significant portion of NACUBO's comments focus on the widely expanded instructions and definitions related to the reporting of compensation, which appear in the Core Form as well as Schedule J, Compensation Information.
Finalized instructions are expected to be published by IRS before the end of the year.
NACUBO Contact: Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy, 202.861.2581, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis