IRS to Take A Look at College and University UBI
November 14, 2006
Along with implementing the many tax law changes enacted in the Pension Protection Act of 2006, in the coming year, the Exempt Organizations Division at IRS plans to investigating new areas of perceived abuses by tax exempts. Among several projects announced in the FY 2007 EO Implementing Guidelines, is one to review the treatment and allocation of income and expenses and current practices by colleges and universities for calculating UBI. The project is set to roll out sometime in 2008.
Other projects announced in the 07 workplan include:
- enforcement efforts related to compliance with employment tax withholding and reporting;
- a review of how community foundations operate;
- following up referrals of more than 300 501(c)(3) organizations that may have violated the prohibition on political intervention during the 2006 election cycle;
- publication of the report on the 2004 executive compensation enforcement efforts;
- analysis and guidance flowing from the 2006 review of tax-exempt hospitals; and
- examinations and staff training on donor advised funds and supporting organizations.
The EO Division will also continue its efforts on the comprehensive redesign of Form 990, with plans to release a draft form and instructions for public comment in 2007.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET