IRS to Continue Examining Unrelated Business Income
May 17, 2013
On May 8, the House Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee held a hearing to review the audit findings of the recently released final report from the Internal Revenue Service on the College and University Compliance Project.
The sole witness appearing at the May 8 hearing was IRS Exempt Organization Director Lois G. Lerner. The questions to Ms. Lerner from subcommittee members sought clarity on the findings contained in the final report and on the nature and extent of noncompliance of the 34 examined institutions, with particular attention given to unrelated business income (UBI) and executive compensation practices.
Ms. Lerner, who will return to testify before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee on May 22 on concerns with political targeting at the IRS, reported that a second IRS study of UBI in the nonprofit community is underway and will likely include some colleges and universities. Specifically, the study will look at organizations that appear to have reporting discrepancies on IRS Forms 990 990-T.
NACUBO and the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) recently distributed perspectives on and a brief summary of the IRS final report and the hearing. In 2008, NACUBO and AGB collaborated on a project looking at initial analyses of IRS' data collected via a questionnaire sent out to 400 colleges and universities. Both AGB and NACUBO will continue to offer education opportunities for member institutions in these areas of tax compliance.
Director, Congressional Relations
Director, Tax Policy
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis