IRS Seeks Input on 403(b) Opinion Letter Program
April 23, 2009
In order to promote compliance, IRS is establishing a program for the pre-approval of 403(b) plans. Announcement 2009-34 explains proposed procedures for the review and issuing of opinion letters on the acceptability of submitted plans. In addition, the Service is posting draft sample plan language on the IRS web site. IRS invites public comment on both the procedures and the draft language. Comments are due by June 1.
As part of the final regulations under section 403(b) published in July 2007, sponsors of 403(b) plans are required to maintain a written plan. Under the rules, plan sponsors must adopt written plans by December 31, 2009.
The program for 403(b) prototype plans is intended to enable employee benefits practitioners and financial organizations to get advance approval of “the form of a §403(b) prototype plan [which is]...... "a plan document prepared by a vendor (or other person) who expects the plan to be adopted by at least 30 employers, along with an adoption agreement to be completed by each adopting employer." Employers adopting the prototype plans will generally have assurance that the form of the plan is meets the requirements set forth in the final §403(b) rules. Sample plan language is posted on the IRS site.
IRS encourages public input prior to finalization of the program and sample plan language.
Comments must be submitted to IRS by June 1, 2009.
Staff resource: Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives