IRS Seeks Input on 403(b) Opinion Letter Program
April 23, 2009
In order to promote compliance, IRS is establishing a program for the pre-approval of 403(b) plans. Announcement 2009-34 explains proposed procedures for the review and issuing of opinion letters on the acceptability of submitted plans. In addition, the Service is posting draft sample plan language on the IRS web site. IRS invites public comment on both the procedures and the draft language. Comments are due by June 1.
As part of the final regulations under section 403(b) published in July 2007, sponsors of 403(b) plans are required to maintain a written plan. Under the rules, plan sponsors must adopt written plans by December 31, 2009.
The program for 403(b) prototype plans is intended to enable employee benefits practitioners and financial organizations to get advance approval of “the form of a §403(b) prototype plan [which is]...... "a plan document prepared by a vendor (or other person) who expects the plan to be adopted by at least 30 employers, along with an adoption agreement to be completed by each adopting employer." Employers adopting the prototype plans will generally have assurance that the form of the plan is meets the requirements set forth in the final §403(b) rules. Sample plan language is posted on the IRS site.
IRS encourages public input prior to finalization of the program and sample plan language.
Comments must be submitted to IRS by June 1, 2009.
Staff resource: Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET