IRS Provides Relief for Sponsors of 403(b)
December 18, 2008
On December 11, the IRS issued Notice 2009-3, which announced an extension of time (until December 31, 2009) for public schools, colleges and universities, and other tax-exempt organizations to complete written 403(b) retirement plan documents. The previous deadline was January 1, 2009.
This does not mean there is a delay in compliance rules; it merely postpones the requirement that a plan document be signed by January 1. There is no delay in the requirement that the employer monitor contribution limits, loans and distributions. The extension is for the plan document outlining all of this, which now does not need to be in place until December 21, 2009.
The IRS will treat these plans as meeting the requirements of Internal Revenue Code section 403(b) and the regulations for new written plans or amended existing plans during the 2009 calendar year if the following are satisfied:
- By December 31, 2009, the plan sponsor of the plan has adopted a written 403(b) plan that is intended to satisfy the requirements of section 403(b) and the regulations.
- During 2009, the plan sponsor must operate the plan in accordance with a reasonable interpretation of section 403(b) and the related regulations. (This will help immensely when deciding what contracts will be "grandfathered" and in determining what distribution will be when terminating a plan.)
- By the end of 2009, the plan sponsor makes its best effort to retroactively correct any operational failure during the 2009 calendar year to conform to the written plan. The corrections must follow the general principles set in the IRS’ Employee Plans Compliance System (EPCRS)--in some cases without having to notify the IRS.
Note that this relief applies only to the 2009 calendar year, which implies that plan sponsors operating their plans on a basis other than calendar year must adopt a plan no later than December 31, 2009, regardless of whether the end of the plan year occurs outside of 2009.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis