IRS Officials Discuss Initial Revisions to New Form 990
October 17, 2007
A recent meeting of the American Bar Association's Exempt Organizations Committee focused on the Form 990 redesign. Ronald J. Schultz, senior technical adviser to the IRS Commissioner, Tax Exempt/Government Entities, reported on a few decisions that have been made about the redesign. A draft of the new form was published June 14, with a 90-day comment period. The Service received more than 650 comments on the draft (see NACUBO's comments to IRS on behalf of the higher education community.)
A new feature included in the redesigned form is a summary page intended to provide the reader with a snapshot of the filing organization's mission and financial information. After reviewing the voluminous comments, officials at IRS made an early decision to eliminate from the summary page a series of questions that would have required filers to report compensation percentages, fundraising percentages, and comparisons of net assets to total expenses.
Schultz also reported that the Service will eliminate the column on the summary page asking for percentages of total contributions and expenses. The IRS has also decided to move a section about the organization's activities and accomplishments from the back of the core form to the front.
Schultz noted that almost one third of the comments the Service has received on the draft form have been related to Schedule H, addressing hospitals. He reported that the Service still anticipates finalizing the form by the end of the year.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis