IRS Issues Publication on Section 403(b) Plans
December 12, 2013
In its recently released Publication 4483, the IRS outlines the most common mistakes made by providers of 403(b)(3) plans. These include:
- Written plan requirement. Written document(s) that describe the plan and how it works are imperative.
- Universal availability. If one employee is permitted to make elective deferrals, all employees must be allowed to make them. Certain groups of employees may be excluded, however, such as those working fewer than 20 hours per week.
- Depositing elective deferrals. Employees' contributions must be sent to plan providers as soon as is reasonable (no later than 15 days following the month of the pay date).
- Excessive elective deferrals. The general limit on elective deferrals is $17,500 in 2014. If the plan allows, employees may also make catch-up contributions related to years of service and/or if they are over age 50.
- Employer and employee contributions. The limit on total employer and employee contributions is $52,000 for 2014 ($57,500 for employees over 50).
Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plan for Sponsors also provides additional resources related to 403(b)(3) plans, employer guides, and correction programs available from IRS.
Director, Tax Policy
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis