IRS Issues Publication on Section 403(b) Plans
December 12, 2013
In its recently released Publication 4483, the IRS outlines the most common mistakes made by providers of 403(b)(3) plans. These include:
- Written plan requirement. Written document(s) that describe the plan and how it works are imperative.
- Universal availability. If one employee is permitted to make elective deferrals, all employees must be allowed to make them. Certain groups of employees may be excluded, however, such as those working fewer than 20 hours per week.
- Depositing elective deferrals. Employees' contributions must be sent to plan providers as soon as is reasonable (no later than 15 days following the month of the pay date).
- Excessive elective deferrals. The general limit on elective deferrals is $17,500 in 2014. If the plan allows, employees may also make catch-up contributions related to years of service and/or if they are over age 50.
- Employer and employee contributions. The limit on total employer and employee contributions is $52,000 for 2014 ($57,500 for employees over 50).
Tax-Sheltered Annuity Plan for Sponsors also provides additional resources related to 403(b)(3) plans, employer guides, and correction programs available from IRS.
Director, Tax Policy
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis