IRS Grants Additional FBAR Filing Extension
August 12, 2009
The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, Form TD. F 90-22.1 (FBAR) must be filed by U.S. persons with an interest in or authority over a foreign financial account. Recently, IRS extended the June 30, 2009 filing deadline to September 23, following statements from IRS officials expanding the FBAR reporting requirement to include "foreign commingled funds", including offshore hedge funds and other investment instruments.
Notice 2009-62, published August 7, which supplements the previous extension, provides that U.S. persons who:
• have only signature authority over a foreign financial account, or
• have an financial interest in, or signature authority over a foreign commingled fund
have until June 30, 2010, to file an FBAR for the 2008 and earlier calendar years with respect to foreign financial accounts. FBAR filings for offshore investments in commingled funds held by U.S. persons are eligible for the extended deadline. However, the notice does not provide a definition "foreign commingled fund".
The notice announces the Service's intention to publish regulations clarifying the FBAR requirements. The extra time granted in Notice 2009-62 not only provides some administrative relief to certain filers, but also gives IRS additional time to solicit input and examine the issues prior to publishing further guidance.
The notice requests comments and suggested changes in reporting requirements that may reduce or eliminate FBAR filing obligations in certain circumstances. In particular, IRS seeks comments regarding a possible exemption for situations where the owner of the account files the FBAR. IRS also requests comments concerning when the filing entity only holds an interest in a foreign entity (e.g., a corporation, partnership, trust, or estate) should be subject to FBAR reporting.
Comments on Notice 2009-62 must be submitted to IRS by October 6, 2009.
Director, Tax Policy
- NACUBO Responds to GASB's Fair Value Proposal
- IRS Again Issues 1098-T Fine Notices
- SEC Approves Money Market Fund Reform
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- WEBCAST: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis