IRS Grants Additional FBAR Filing Extension
August 12, 2009
The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, Form TD. F 90-22.1 (FBAR) must be filed by U.S. persons with an interest in or authority over a foreign financial account. Recently, IRS extended the June 30, 2009 filing deadline to September 23, following statements from IRS officials expanding the FBAR reporting requirement to include "foreign commingled funds", including offshore hedge funds and other investment instruments.
Notice 2009-62, published August 7, which supplements the previous extension, provides that U.S. persons who:
• have only signature authority over a foreign financial account, or
• have an financial interest in, or signature authority over a foreign commingled fund
have until June 30, 2010, to file an FBAR for the 2008 and earlier calendar years with respect to foreign financial accounts. FBAR filings for offshore investments in commingled funds held by U.S. persons are eligible for the extended deadline. However, the notice does not provide a definition "foreign commingled fund".
The notice announces the Service's intention to publish regulations clarifying the FBAR requirements. The extra time granted in Notice 2009-62 not only provides some administrative relief to certain filers, but also gives IRS additional time to solicit input and examine the issues prior to publishing further guidance.
The notice requests comments and suggested changes in reporting requirements that may reduce or eliminate FBAR filing obligations in certain circumstances. In particular, IRS seeks comments regarding a possible exemption for situations where the owner of the account files the FBAR. IRS also requests comments concerning when the filing entity only holds an interest in a foreign entity (e.g., a corporation, partnership, trust, or estate) should be subject to FBAR reporting.
Comments on Notice 2009-62 must be submitted to IRS by October 6, 2009.
Director, Tax Policy
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives