IRS Exempts Credit Card Transactions from Three Percent Withholding Requirement
January 12, 2011
A provision enacted as part of a 2006 tax measure requires governmental entities, including public colleges and universities, to withhold three percent on payments for goods and services, beginning January 1, 2012. IRS Notice 2010-91clarifies that the requirement will not apply to payments made via credit cards, for at least 18 months from the date that further guidance is issued, and therefore will not apply to transactions during the 2012 calendar year.Section 3402(t) of the Internal Revenue Code was added by §511 of the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005, enacted in May 2006. While implementation of Section 3402(t) has been delayed, Treasury and IRS are currently developing final rules as the January 1, 2012, effective date approaches.
NACUBO's April 2008 comments to IRS on the implementation of Section 3402(t) explained the administrative difficulties inherent with application of the withholding requirement to payment card transactions and strongly recommended their exemption.Notice 2010-91 makes it clear that purchases made using payment cards or stored value cards will be exempted. However, the exemption does not apply to purchases with convenience checks. The notice includes definitions for "credit card transactions" along with other terms such as payment and stored value cards.
Director, Tax Policy
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET