IRS Excludes Colleges and Universities From Voluntary Compliance Program
October 7, 2004
IRS Revenue Procedure 2004-59 sets forth a new voluntary compliance program for withholding agents that make payments to foreign persons. The program enables witholding agents that make scholarship, fellowship, wage, and other payments to foreign persons to disclose areas of non-compliance to the IRS in return for reduced tax liability and limited or waived penalties. Note that this new program is not available to colleges and universities or section 501(c)(3) organizations affiliated with institutions.
The new program is similar to an earlier program that was available to colleges and universities in 2001 and expired in 2002. IRS officials expected a stronger response to the initial effort (announced in Rev. Proc. 2001-20) than was received--only a handful of institutions participated. The service specifies that organizations that were eligible for the 2001 program are ineligible for the new one.
The new program is effective as of September 29 and open until December 31, 2005.
NACUBO contact: Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis