IRS Examining Compliance with Qualified 501(c)(3) Bond Rules
September 4, 2007
The Tax Exempt Bonds division and the Exempt Organizations Compliance Area at IRS have announced a joint effort to take a look at the policies and procedures used by exempt organizations to comply with bonds rules. The Service will send questionnaires to more than 200 exempt organizations that indicated outstanding tax-exempt debt on their 2005 Form 990.
The project will measure:
- Record retention requirements
- Qualified use of bond-financed property requirements
- Arbitrage yield restriction and rebate requirements
- Debt management policies and procedures
- Awareness of voluntary compliance and educational resources
The compliance questionnaire has been published by the IRS. Following collection and analysis of the data, the Service will issue a report detailing its findings and any recommendations for follow-up initiatives.
Resource: The National Association of Bonds Lawyers and the Government Finance Officers Association have developed a checklist for bond counsel and issuers, addressing post-issuance compliance.
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis