IRS Examining Compliance with Qualified 501(c)(3) Bond Rules
September 4, 2007
The Tax Exempt Bonds division and the Exempt Organizations Compliance Area at IRS have announced a joint effort to take a look at the policies and procedures used by exempt organizations to comply with bonds rules. The Service will send questionnaires to more than 200 exempt organizations that indicated outstanding tax-exempt debt on their 2005 Form 990.
The project will measure:
- Record retention requirements
- Qualified use of bond-financed property requirements
- Arbitrage yield restriction and rebate requirements
- Debt management policies and procedures
- Awareness of voluntary compliance and educational resources
The compliance questionnaire has been published by the IRS. Following collection and analysis of the data, the Service will issue a report detailing its findings and any recommendations for follow-up initiatives.
Resource: The National Association of Bonds Lawyers and the Government Finance Officers Association have developed a checklist for bond counsel and issuers, addressing post-issuance compliance.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs