IRS Allows Deductions for Charitable Contributions to Disregarded Entities
August 8, 2012
Notice 2012-52 provides long-awaited clarification that contributions made to a domestic, single-member, limited liability company (SMLLC) that is wholly owned by a section 501(c)(3) organization and disregarded for federal tax purposes will be eligible for the charitable deduction.
Colleges and universities may hold real estate, for example, in the form of a SMLLC owned by the institution. The notice clarifies that donors gifting real property to the SMLLC may take a charitable contribution for the donation. In that case, while the gift is made to the SMLLC, Notice 2012-52 makes it clear that the institution is responsible for meeting the substantiation and disclosure requirements applicable to the gift.
The notice also suggests that charities disclose, in a gift acknowledgement or other statement to donors, that the SMLLC is wholly owned by the institution or other charity and is disregarded for federal income tax purposes. Annual percentage limitations on charitable contribution deductions apply to donor gifts to a SMLLC, just as if the gifts were made to the institution.
Institutions should keep in mind that state laws may depart from federal tax rules. A SMLLC disregarded for federal tax purposes may be "regarded" under state tax laws.
The effective date of Notice 2012-52 is July 31, 2012, but taxpayers may rely on the notice prior to this date for earlier tax years if the statute of limitations has not expired.
Director, Tax Policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis