HouseTax Bill Includes Cell Phone Measure and Delay of 3% Witholding Rule
April 16, 2008
On a party-line vote of 238-179, the House this week approved the Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719), which includes two items that NACUBO has been supporting and monitoring:
- the removal of employer-provided cell phones (or similar telecommunications equipment) from listed property in the Internal Revenue Code, and
- a one year delay for the imposition of a three percent withholding requirement on government payments for goods and services made after December 31, 2010.
The bill would also repeal the Internal Revenue Service’s authority to use private debt collection services -- a provision opposed by the administration and one that could prevent passage of the legislation in the Senate.
Senator John Kerry (D-MA) has introduced S. 2668, a companion to the House cell phone provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
See the House Ways and Means news release for more information about H.R. 5719.
NACUBO contact, Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis