HouseTax Bill Includes Cell Phone Measure and Delay of 3% Witholding Rule
April 16, 2008
On a party-line vote of 238-179, the House this week approved the Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719), which includes two items that NACUBO has been supporting and monitoring:
- the removal of employer-provided cell phones (or similar telecommunications equipment) from listed property in the Internal Revenue Code, and
- a one year delay for the imposition of a three percent withholding requirement on government payments for goods and services made after December 31, 2010.
The bill would also repeal the Internal Revenue Service’s authority to use private debt collection services -- a provision opposed by the administration and one that could prevent passage of the legislation in the Senate.
Senator John Kerry (D-MA) has introduced S. 2668, a companion to the House cell phone provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
See the House Ways and Means news release for more information about H.R. 5719.
NACUBO contact, Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis