HouseTax Bill Includes Cell Phone Measure and Delay of 3% Witholding Rule
April 16, 2008
On a party-line vote of 238-179, the House this week approved the Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719), which includes two items that NACUBO has been supporting and monitoring:
- the removal of employer-provided cell phones (or similar telecommunications equipment) from listed property in the Internal Revenue Code, and
- a one year delay for the imposition of a three percent withholding requirement on government payments for goods and services made after December 31, 2010.
The bill would also repeal the Internal Revenue Service’s authority to use private debt collection services -- a provision opposed by the administration and one that could prevent passage of the legislation in the Senate.
Senator John Kerry (D-MA) has introduced S. 2668, a companion to the House cell phone provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
See the House Ways and Means news release for more information about H.R. 5719.
NACUBO contact, Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis