HouseTax Bill Includes Cell Phone Measure and Delay of 3% Witholding Rule
April 16, 2008
On a party-line vote of 238-179, the House this week approved the Taxpayer Assistance and Simplification Act of 2008 (H.R. 5719), which includes two items that NACUBO has been supporting and monitoring:
- the removal of employer-provided cell phones (or similar telecommunications equipment) from listed property in the Internal Revenue Code, and
- a one year delay for the imposition of a three percent withholding requirement on government payments for goods and services made after December 31, 2010.
The bill would also repeal the Internal Revenue Service’s authority to use private debt collection services -- a provision opposed by the administration and one that could prevent passage of the legislation in the Senate.
Senator John Kerry (D-MA) has introduced S. 2668, a companion to the House cell phone provision. The bill has yet to be considered by the Senate Finance Committee.
See the House Ways and Means news release for more information about H.R. 5719.
NACUBO contact, Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- NACUBO Provides Advice on Collecting Student TINs
- Activity-Based Costing Guide Released for Community Colleges
- White House Public Awareness Campaign Aims to Prevent Campus Sexual Assault
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis