Final Rules on Education Tax Credits
January 1, 2003
The final regulations on the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits, published by the Internal Revenue Service December 27, 2002, interpret section 25A of the Code, providing guidance to taxpayers who may claim the credits. Although the 25A rules do not address institutional reporting requirements, a number of provisions are important for colleges and universities. These provisions cover the definition of an eligible educational institution, qualified tuition and related expenses, and the timing of payments.
The final regulations hold, as did the rules first proposed in 1999, that qualified expenses include fees for books, supplies, and equipment used in a course of study only if the fees are required to be paid to the institution for the enrollment or attendance of the student.
The rules also clarify that personal expenses such as room and board, insurance, medical expenses, transportation, and similar personal living expenses are not qualified expenses for purposes of claiming the credits, regardless of whether the fee must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment. Institutions must determine the allocation of bundled fees that combine qualified expenses and personal expenses that are not qualified. The rules became effective on December 26, 2002.
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis