Final Form 990 Instructions Released
August 19, 2008
The Internal Revenue Service has completed the final instructions for the redesigned Form 990, effective for tax year 2008. The final instructions are available on the IRS web site with line-by-line tips and examples to assist filers while completing the expanded form.
In addition, the new instructions contain a "sequencing list" to help institutions and organizations determine the order in which to complete various portions of the form, such as:
- revised general and specific instructions for the core form and schedules;
- a glossary of terms;
- a compensation table to help organizations determine where and how to report types of compensation paid to officers, directors, trustees, key employees and highest compensated employees;
- new appendices for reporting requirements; and
- guidance regarding group returns and for organizations to report activities conducted indirectly through joint ventures and disregarded entities.
NACUBO’s Tax Council and other members of the tax-exempt community have been actively involved in providing comments to revise and redesign the instructions.
The IRS expects to release instructions to the 2008 Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, in the next few weeks.
NACUBO contact Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- NACUBO Responds to FASB's NFP Proposal
- Results Are In: The 2014 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
- NLRB Dismisses Union Bid from Northwestern Football Players
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis