Final Form 990 Instructions Released
August 19, 2008
The Internal Revenue Service has completed the final instructions for the redesigned Form 990, effective for tax year 2008. The final instructions are available on the IRS web site with line-by-line tips and examples to assist filers while completing the expanded form.
In addition, the new instructions contain a "sequencing list" to help institutions and organizations determine the order in which to complete various portions of the form, such as:
- revised general and specific instructions for the core form and schedules;
- a glossary of terms;
- a compensation table to help organizations determine where and how to report types of compensation paid to officers, directors, trustees, key employees and highest compensated employees;
- new appendices for reporting requirements; and
- guidance regarding group returns and for organizations to report activities conducted indirectly through joint ventures and disregarded entities.
NACUBO’s Tax Council and other members of the tax-exempt community have been actively involved in providing comments to revise and redesign the instructions.
The IRS expects to release instructions to the 2008 Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, in the next few weeks.
NACUBO contact Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis