Final Form 990 Instructions Released
August 19, 2008
The Internal Revenue Service has completed the final instructions for the redesigned Form 990, effective for tax year 2008. The final instructions are available on the IRS web site with line-by-line tips and examples to assist filers while completing the expanded form.
In addition, the new instructions contain a "sequencing list" to help institutions and organizations determine the order in which to complete various portions of the form, such as:
- revised general and specific instructions for the core form and schedules;
- a glossary of terms;
- a compensation table to help organizations determine where and how to report types of compensation paid to officers, directors, trustees, key employees and highest compensated employees;
- new appendices for reporting requirements; and
- guidance regarding group returns and for organizations to report activities conducted indirectly through joint ventures and disregarded entities.
NACUBO’s Tax Council and other members of the tax-exempt community have been actively involved in providing comments to revise and redesign the instructions.
The IRS expects to release instructions to the 2008 Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, in the next few weeks.
NACUBO contact Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis