Final Form 990 Instructions Released
August 19, 2008
The Internal Revenue Service has completed the final instructions for the redesigned Form 990, effective for tax year 2008. The final instructions are available on the IRS web site with line-by-line tips and examples to assist filers while completing the expanded form.
In addition, the new instructions contain a "sequencing list" to help institutions and organizations determine the order in which to complete various portions of the form, such as:
- revised general and specific instructions for the core form and schedules;
- a glossary of terms;
- a compensation table to help organizations determine where and how to report types of compensation paid to officers, directors, trustees, key employees and highest compensated employees;
- new appendices for reporting requirements; and
- guidance regarding group returns and for organizations to report activities conducted indirectly through joint ventures and disregarded entities.
NACUBO’s Tax Council and other members of the tax-exempt community have been actively involved in providing comments to revise and redesign the instructions.
The IRS expects to release instructions to the 2008 Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, in the next few weeks.
NACUBO contact Mary M. Bachinger, director, tax policy
- Recent Executive Orders Aimed at Pay Gaps and Overtime Expansion
- New GASB Concepts Address Measurement
- Behind the Costs of a College Degree
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis