FAQ on Form 1098-T Reporting
January 12, 2012
An audit report published in the fall of 2010 by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) identified 2.1 million taxpayers who may be receiving $ 3.2 billion in erroneously-claimed education tax credits.
In an effort to help institutions manage the 1098-T, NACUBO hosted a webcast, Form 1098-T Reporting Refresher, on November 17, 2011. Presenters Linda Combs, director, University Business Office at James Madison University, and Barbara Morris, director of Tax and Payroll Services at Johns Hopkins University, offered their expertise and guidance during the session. The program gave an overview of the education tax credits, determining which students receive a form, a walk-through explanation for completing the form , as well as a discussion of several aspects of reporting including definitions of qualified tuition and related expenses, electronic delivery, and follow-up resources on the topic.
More than 350 questions were submitted during the webcast. Presenters, along with NACUBO staff Anne Gross, vice president, regulatory affairs, and Mary Bachinger, director, tax policy, developed a post-event resource for participants that is now available online.
If you missed the webcast and want to learn more you can access the archived version.
Director, Tax Policy
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis