FAQ on Form 1098-T Reporting
January 12, 2012
An audit report published in the fall of 2010 by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) identified 2.1 million taxpayers who may be receiving $ 3.2 billion in erroneously-claimed education tax credits.
In an effort to help institutions manage the 1098-T, NACUBO hosted a webcast, Form 1098-T Reporting Refresher, on November 17, 2011. Presenters Linda Combs, director, University Business Office at James Madison University, and Barbara Morris, director of Tax and Payroll Services at Johns Hopkins University, offered their expertise and guidance during the session. The program gave an overview of the education tax credits, determining which students receive a form, a walk-through explanation for completing the form , as well as a discussion of several aspects of reporting including definitions of qualified tuition and related expenses, electronic delivery, and follow-up resources on the topic.
More than 350 questions were submitted during the webcast. Presenters, along with NACUBO staff Anne Gross, vice president, regulatory affairs, and Mary Bachinger, director, tax policy, developed a post-event resource for participants that is now available online.
If you missed the webcast and want to learn more you can access the archived version.
Director, Tax Policy
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis