Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
February 21, 2017
Anticipating that Congress will be assembling measures to be included in a tax bill this year, the Coalition to Preserve Employer-Provided Education Assistance—a group comprised of higher education, employer, and labor groups—sent a letter to members of the House Ways and Means and the Senate Finance Committees, urging them to maintain and strengthen tax-free tuition benefits that employers provide to workers under Section 127 of the Internal Revenue Code. NACUBO and several higher education associations participate in the coalition.
Section 127 permits employers to offer up to $5,250 per year in tax-free tuition assistance to employees for either undergraduate- or graduate-level study.
As members of the tax-writing committees examine simplification of education tax benefits, the coalition asked them to preserve Section 127. The coalition also urged the tax writers to revisit and adopt bipartisan bills introduced in the last session of Congress that would increase the $5,250 annual limit, expand the use to include loan repayment, and extend the benefit to spouses and children of employees.
With efforts to repeal and repair the Affordable Care Act still expected to happen prior to movement on any tax reform efforts, it is difficult to predict what path Congress may take on tax measures. NACUBO will keep its members apprised of Section 127 developments.
Director, Tax Policy
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO