Education Tax Credits
IRS Publication on Education Tax Benefits. The IRS has issued Publication 970,Tax Benefits for Education to assist taxpayers seeking to claim federal education tax benefits on their 2010 tax returns.
Resources for Colleges and Universities
- FAQs on Form 1098-T Reporting (December 21, 2011)
- General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-26. Guidance Related to Filing, Deadlines, and Furnishing Statements to Students.
- IRS Notice 2006-72, Guidance Responding to Frequently Asked Questions about 1098-T Reporting (September, 2006)
- IRS Revenue Procedure 2005-50 Sets Forth Rules for Changing 1098-T Reporting Methods (August, 2005)
- IRS Issues Guidance on Obtaining E-Filing Waivers (November, 2005)
- Final Rules on 1098-T Reporting. The final regulations governing information reporting of amounts of qualified tuition and related expenses paid to or billed by higher education institutions (December 2002).
- Final Rules on Education Tax Credits. The final rules related to taxpayer eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits. (December 2002).
- Process Guide to 1098-T Reporting, Third Edition eBook. NACUBO's bestselling guidebook, which incorporates changes brought about by the final regulations issued in December 2002, provides a detailed explanation of the reporting requirements as well as a list of references relating to the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits, a process for complying with the reporting requirements, answers to frequently asked questions, and sample documents that you can modify for your institution's use.
Forms and Filing Instructions
- IRS Revenue Procedure 2005-50, IRS Guidance on Obtaining Consent for Change in 1098-T Reporting Method
- Form 8863, Education Credits (PDF)
- Form 1098-T, Tuition Payments Statement (PDF)
- Form 1098-T and 1098-E Instructions, Tuition Payments Statement and Interest Payment Instructions (PDF)
- Form W-9S, Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Social Security Number and Certification (PDF)
Resources For Students
Students and families interested in finding out more about the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and Lifetime Learning tax credits, and other education-related tax provisions of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 may find the following consumer information pieces useful.
- Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education (2012). For an explanation of all the federal tax benefits that help pay for college.
For use in preparing student/family tax returns (Form 1040).
- IRS Form 8863, Education Credits (PDF)This is the form you need to file with your 1040. Instructions are included.
- Final Rules on Education Tax Credits (December 26, 2002) These are the regulations that spell out eligibility rules, definitions, and mechanics of claiming the Hope and Lifetime Learning credits
If you have additional questions about your eligibility for the education tax credits, you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or consult your tax advisor. Colleges and universities are generally not able to provide students and families with tax advice.
- NACUBO Publishes 1098-T Reporting Survey Results (August 17, 2004)
- NACUBO Comments to IRS on 1098-T Reporting Requirements (July 29, 2002)
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis