Education Tax Credits
Advisory Report 2014-1 Collecting Taxpayer Identification Numbers for Form 1098-T Reporting provides best practices, relevant regulations, and model substitute Forms W-9S.
Resources for Colleges and Universities
- Advisory Report 2013-2: Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T (November 8, 2013)
- Advisory Report 2013-1: IRS Form 1098-T: Responding to Penalty Notices for Missing or Incorrect Taxpayer Information Numbers (October 2, 2013)
- FAQs on Form 1098-T Reporting (December 21, 2011)
- General Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-26. Guidance Related to Filing, Deadlines, and Furnishing Statements to Students.
- IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education. This publication details the various tax benefits related to education and assists taxpayers seeking to claim federal education tax benefits.
- IRS Notice 2006-72, Guidance Responding to Frequently Asked Questions about 1098-T Reporting (September, 2006)
- IRS Revenue Procedure 2005-50 Sets Forth Rules for Changing 1098-T Reporting Methods (August, 2005)
- IRS Issues Guidance on Obtaining E-Filing Waivers (November, 2005)
- Final Rules on 1098-T Reporting. The final regulations governing information reporting of amounts of qualified tuition and related expenses paid to or billed by higher education institutions (December 2002).
- Final Rules on Education Tax Credits. The final rules related to taxpayer eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits. (December 2002).
- Process Guide to 1098-T Reporting, Third Edition eBook. NACUBO's bestselling guidebook, which incorporates changes brought about by the final regulations issued in December 2002, provides a detailed explanation of the reporting requirements as well as a list of references relating to the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits, a process for complying with the reporting requirements, answers to frequently asked questions, and sample documents that you can modify for your institution's use.
Forms and Filing Instructions
- IRS Revenue Procedure 2005-50, IRS Guidance on Obtaining Consent for Change in 1098-T Reporting Method
- Form 8863, Education Credits (PDF)
- Form 1098-T, Tuition Payments Statement (PDF)
- Form 1098-T and 1098-E Instructions, Tuition Payments Statement and Interest Payment Instructions (PDF)
- Form W-9S, Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Social Security Number and Certification (PDF)
Resources For Students
Students and families interested in finding out more about the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and Lifetime Learning tax credits, and other education-related tax provisions of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 may find the following consumer information pieces useful.
- Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education (2013). For an explanation of all the federal tax benefits that help pay for college.
For use in preparing student/family tax returns (Form 1040).
- IRS Form 8863, Education Credits (PDF)This is the form you need to file with your 1040. Instructions are included.
- Final Rules on Education Tax Credits (December 26, 2002) These are the regulations that spell out eligibility rules, definitions, and mechanics of claiming the Hope and Lifetime Learning credits
If you have additional questions about your eligibility for the education tax credits, you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or consult your tax advisor. Colleges and universities are generally not able to provide students and families with tax advice.
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis