Advisory Report 2014-1
Collecting Taxpayer Identification Numbers for Form 1098-T Reporting
After the IRS sent notices of proposed fines to hundreds of campuses in 2013, and again this year, institutions have focused more on the best ways to ensure compliance. NACUBO Advisory Report 2014-1, Collecting Taxpayer Identification Numbers for Form 1098-T Reporting, provides advice on best practices, relevant regulations, and model substitute W-9S forms. The advice was developed by a joint subcommittee of NACUBO's Student Financial Services and Tax Councils, with assistance from representatives from the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
Stay on top of the many rules and policy developments affecting higher education tax administration and compliance, and follow NACUBO's advocacy efforts on tax matters.
NACUBO Connections: Discuss tax issues and find solutions on the Taxlist
If you're not already a subscriber to NACUBO's discussion group of more than 600 campus tax professionals, join the Taxlist eGroup. (Only employees of higher education institutions may participate).
- IRS Issues Long-Awaited Rules on Deferred Compensation
(July 11, 2016)
- House GOP Offers Tax Reform Blueprint
(June 27, 2016)
- IRS Explains Forms 1042-S Solution
(June 13, 2016)
- IRS to Process Refunds for International Students
(May 23, 2016)
- IRS Grants Relief from New 1098-T Reporting Mandate
(May 2, 2016)
- 1042-S Questions Remain as Scrutiny Intensifies
(May 2, 2016)
- IRS Notices Cause Tax Woes for Thousands of Foreign Students
(March 7, 2016)
- IRS Issues Transitional Relief for Graduate Student Health Coverage
(February 22, 2016)
A Guide to Federal Tax Issues for Colleges and Universities
This subscripton service gives you one reliable place to turn for up-to-date information on IRS compliance. You'll save valuable time and resources using our sample forms, checklists, and other practical tools … and you'll be able to structure your IRS compliance correctly, reducing your institution's potential liability. The service includes online access to guidance and Web tools, plus monthly newsletters for one year.
- The IRS has issued a new edition of Publication 1771, Charitable Contributions -- Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements
- NACUBO and AGB Release Analysis of IRS Compliance Questionnaire Responses - Late in 2008 the IRS sent a compliance questionnaire to approximately 400 colleges and universities, focused on governance practices, endowment management, executive compensation, and activities that generate unrelated business income. NACUBO partnered with the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) on a parallel analysis of 146 survey responses provided voluntarily by institutions.
- IRS Provides Relief for Sponsors of 403(b)
- Checklist to Prepare for the Form 990.
- New Electronic and Magnetic Media Filing Requirements Rev. Proc. 2008-30
- Publication 970,Tax Benefits for Education
- A Guide to Federal Tax Issues for Colleges and Universities is an online subscription service that gives you one authoritative source to turn to for up-to-date information on IRS compliance.
- Visit the Employment Tax Page for news and resources on employment tax issues, including student FICA, fringe benefits, and tax issues for college presidents.
- Education Tax Credits Resource Page provides source documents, IRS rules, forms, and publications related to 1098-T reporting
- ED Proposes Substantial Expansion of Financial Responsibility Indicators
- Supreme Court Hands Down Two Decisions with Higher Education Implications
- NACUBO Objects to Annual SFA Audits
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives