Advisory Report 2014-1
Collecting Taxpayer Identification Numbers for Form 1098-T Reporting
After the IRS sent notices of proposed fines to hundreds of campuses in 2013, and again this year, institutions have focused more on the best ways to ensure compliance. NACUBO Advisory Report 2014-1, Collecting Taxpayer Identification Numbers for Form 1098-T Reporting, provides advice on best practices, relevant regulations, and model substitute W-9S forms. The advice was developed by a joint subcommittee of NACUBO's Student Financial Services and Tax Councils, with assistance from representatives from the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
Stay on top of the many rules and policy developments affecting higher education tax administration and compliance, and follow NACUBO's advocacy efforts on tax matters.
NACUBO Connections: Discuss tax issues and find solutions on the Taxlist
If you're not already a subscriber to NACUBO's discussion group of more than 600 campus tax professionals, join the Taxlist eGroup. (Only employees of higher education institutions may participate).
- Broad Coalition Presses for Expansion of Employer-Provided Tuition Benefits
(February 21, 2017)
- NACUBO Members Comment on 1098-T Proposals at IRS Public Hearing
(November 30, 2016)
- IRS Extends Due Dates for ACA-Related Information Reporting
(November 29, 2016)
- 1098-T Box 1 Reporting Will Not be Required Until 2018 Tax Year
(November 17, 2016)
- Comments on Form 1098-T Reporting Due Soon
(October 17, 2016)
- Proposed 1098-T Reporting Changes Highlighted at IRS Meeting
(September 7, 2016)
- IRS Proposes Modifications to 1098-T Reporting
(August 8, 2016)
A Guide to Federal Tax Issues for Colleges and Universities
This online-only, annual subscripton service gives you one reliable place to turn for up-to-date information on IRS compliance. You'll save valuable time and resources using our sample forms, checklists, and other practical tools … and you'll be able to structure your IRS compliance correctly, reducing your institution's potential liability. The service includes online access to guidance and Web tools, plus monthly newsletters for one year.
- The IRS has issued a new edition of Publication 1771, Charitable Contributions -- Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements
- NACUBO and AGB Release Analysis of IRS Compliance Questionnaire Responses - Late in 2008 the IRS sent a compliance questionnaire to approximately 400 colleges and universities, focused on governance practices, endowment management, executive compensation, and activities that generate unrelated business income. NACUBO partnered with the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) on a parallel analysis of 146 survey responses provided voluntarily by institutions.
- IRS Provides Relief for Sponsors of 403(b)
- Checklist to Prepare for the Form 990.
- New Electronic and Magnetic Media Filing Requirements Rev. Proc. 2008-30
- Publication 970,Tax Benefits for Education
- A Guide to Federal Tax Issues for Colleges and Universities is an online subscription service that gives you one authoritative source to turn to for up-to-date information on IRS compliance.
- Visit the Employment Tax Page for news and resources on employment tax issues, including student FICA, fringe benefits, and tax issues for college presidents.
- Education Tax Credits Resource Page provides source documents, IRS rules, forms, and publications related to 1098-T reporting
- NACUBO and FASB Discuss Grant Revenue Recognition
- ED Proposes Auditing Safeguards Rule Compliance
- NACUBO and ACE to Negotiate Rates for Use of Music on Campus
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Higher Education Accounting Forum
May 7-9, 2017
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis in Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections and Clarifications
Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Results of the 2016 NACUBO Tuition Discounting Study
Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
- ON-DEMAND: What’s Happening in Student Financial Services?
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO