Learning Spaces for 21st Century Students
November 27, 2013
To assist academic, finance, and facilities planners and officers, the Learning Spaces Collaboratory, with support from the National Science Foundation, recently issued a free web-based guide for assessing and developing learning spaces. Designed to spark improved decision making, the guide illustrates how campuses—many of which have classroom spaces deeply embedded in 20th century layouts—can incrementally plan and build learning spaces for 21st century students.
More than 50 campus leaders helped develop the guide, which features 16 college/university examples—including photos and floor plans—of spaces that improve learning. Many of these spaces had pedagogy "champions," leading to numerous layouts and academic delivery variations. The intent is to continue adding campus projects and their pertinent details to this document.
Many stories illustrate how incremental steps, such as changes in furnishings and technologies, can transform existing spaces. Think of the power of having a "sandbox" space for experimenting at modest cost, setting the stage for scaling-up what works in ways that serve your institutional strategic initiatives. From a sustainable perspective—because existing higher education square footage encompasses more than 5 billion square feet—it is critical to assess and renovate existing classrooms to become vibrant new learning spaces. Anticipating new construction, this guide can spark a robust discussion of a project's ramifications: the initial cost, as well as the total cost of ownership in terms of the incremental cost of operations and ongoing adaption in the future.
Capital budgets for facilities are tight, thus it is essential to "get it right" the first time. Understanding how others have answered questions about what, how, and where students learn will inform your planning process and help determine what kind of spaces will work for your community.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis