Learning Spaces for 21st Century Students
November 27, 2013
To assist academic, finance, and facilities planners and officers, the Learning Spaces Collaboratory, with support from the National Science Foundation, recently issued a free web-based guide for assessing and developing learning spaces. Designed to spark improved decision making, the guide illustrates how campuses—many of which have classroom spaces deeply embedded in 20th century layouts—can incrementally plan and build learning spaces for 21st century students.
More than 50 campus leaders helped develop the guide, which features 16 college/university examples—including photos and floor plans—of spaces that improve learning. Many of these spaces had pedagogy "champions," leading to numerous layouts and academic delivery variations. The intent is to continue adding campus projects and their pertinent details to this document.
Many stories illustrate how incremental steps, such as changes in furnishings and technologies, can transform existing spaces. Think of the power of having a "sandbox" space for experimenting at modest cost, setting the stage for scaling-up what works in ways that serve your institutional strategic initiatives. From a sustainable perspective—because existing higher education square footage encompasses more than 5 billion square feet—it is critical to assess and renovate existing classrooms to become vibrant new learning spaces. Anticipating new construction, this guide can spark a robust discussion of a project's ramifications: the initial cost, as well as the total cost of ownership in terms of the incremental cost of operations and ongoing adaption in the future.
Capital budgets for facilities are tight, thus it is essential to "get it right" the first time. Understanding how others have answered questions about what, how, and where students learn will inform your planning process and help determine what kind of spaces will work for your community.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis