Pennsylvania Institutions Sign Self-Audit Agreement With EPA
January 25, 2005
More than two dozen independent institutions in Pennsylvania recently signed a self-audit agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. The agreement encourages voluntary disclosure of violations found through compliance self-audits, which substantially reduces or eliminates the likelihood that a participating institution will be fined for failing to comply with environmental regulations. Agreements such as this are possible through an audit policy developed at the national level in 2000 that encourages discovery, disclosure, correction of environmental violations, and establishing systems to maintain environmental compliance.
So far, 27 of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania's 83 institutions have agreed to take part in the program. A professional environmental auditor will train personnel from the participating institutions to perform as peer reviewers to assess problems, report them to authorities, and help identify solutions. Timothy C. Alexander, the associations's vice president for finance and administration, said that the self-audits will help "schools save a lot of money because they aren't hiring a professional consultant to do the audit."
For more information, visit EPA's Region 3 Website.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis