Pennsylvania Institutions Sign Self-Audit Agreement With EPA
January 25, 2005
More than two dozen independent institutions in Pennsylvania recently signed a self-audit agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. The agreement encourages voluntary disclosure of violations found through compliance self-audits, which substantially reduces or eliminates the likelihood that a participating institution will be fined for failing to comply with environmental regulations. Agreements such as this are possible through an audit policy developed at the national level in 2000 that encourages discovery, disclosure, correction of environmental violations, and establishing systems to maintain environmental compliance.
So far, 27 of the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania's 83 institutions have agreed to take part in the program. A professional environmental auditor will train personnel from the participating institutions to perform as peer reviewers to assess problems, report them to authorities, and help identify solutions. Timothy C. Alexander, the associations's vice president for finance and administration, said that the self-audits will help "schools save a lot of money because they aren't hiring a professional consultant to do the audit."
For more information, visit EPA's Region 3 Website.
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives