EPA Releases Final Mandatory Greenhouse Gases Rule
November 4, 2009
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the final rule on mandatory reporting of greenhouses gases on October 30. The rule requires reporting by all facilities that release annual emissions of 25,000 megatons CO2 equivalent (25,000mtCO2e). The rule is effective January 1, 2010; the first reports will be due on March 31, 2011, reflecting only Scope 1 emissions from the 2010 calendar year.
Institutions will need to focus on the requirement for emissions from stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers. Other sources, including cement and aluminum plants, are also required but are not as relevant to institutions. In the case of the stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers, the rule requires reporting based on a single facility's emissions.
The EPA recommends that even if a facility is emitting less than 25,000mtCO2e at the beginning of a particular year, an institution should begin tracking emissions through the year to ensure the facility has not exceeded the reporting requirement threshold by that December. If you determine that you must report, be aware that the information the EPA requires might differ from what's required by the American College and Universities Presidents' Climate Commitment.
EPA provides the following tools to help you determine if your school needs to report.
Director, Distance Learning
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives