EPA Releases Final Mandatory Greenhouse Gases Rule
November 4, 2009
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the final rule on mandatory reporting of greenhouses gases on October 30. The rule requires reporting by all facilities that release annual emissions of 25,000 megatons CO2 equivalent (25,000mtCO2e). The rule is effective January 1, 2010; the first reports will be due on March 31, 2011, reflecting only Scope 1 emissions from the 2010 calendar year.
Institutions will need to focus on the requirement for emissions from stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers. Other sources, including cement and aluminum plants, are also required but are not as relevant to institutions. In the case of the stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers, the rule requires reporting based on a single facility's emissions.
The EPA recommends that even if a facility is emitting less than 25,000mtCO2e at the beginning of a particular year, an institution should begin tracking emissions through the year to ensure the facility has not exceeded the reporting requirement threshold by that December. If you determine that you must report, be aware that the information the EPA requires might differ from what's required by the American College and Universities Presidents' Climate Commitment.
EPA provides the following tools to help you determine if your school needs to report.
Director, Distance Learning
- House and Senate Approve FY16 Budget Resolutions
- NACUBO Submits Comments to CFPB on Safe Student Account Scorecard
- Senate Committee Seeks Feedback on Policy Papers
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis