EPA Releases Final Mandatory Greenhouse Gases Rule
November 4, 2009
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the final rule on mandatory reporting of greenhouses gases on October 30. The rule requires reporting by all facilities that release annual emissions of 25,000 megatons CO2 equivalent (25,000mtCO2e). The rule is effective January 1, 2010; the first reports will be due on March 31, 2011, reflecting only Scope 1 emissions from the 2010 calendar year.
Institutions will need to focus on the requirement for emissions from stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers. Other sources, including cement and aluminum plants, are also required but are not as relevant to institutions. In the case of the stationary fuel combustion equipment or boilers, the rule requires reporting based on a single facility's emissions.
The EPA recommends that even if a facility is emitting less than 25,000mtCO2e at the beginning of a particular year, an institution should begin tracking emissions through the year to ensure the facility has not exceeded the reporting requirement threshold by that December. If you determine that you must report, be aware that the information the EPA requires might differ from what's required by the American College and Universities Presidents' Climate Commitment.
EPA provides the following tools to help you determine if your school needs to report.
Director, Distance Learning
- Congress Finalizes FY15 Federal Budget
- ED Proposes Changes to Rules on Teacher Preparation Programs
- The Wait Continues on Tax Extenders and Terrorism Risk Insurance Renewal
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis