EPA Grants Support Urban Watershed Research
January 23, 2014
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has awarded nearly $5 million in grants to five universities to evaluate green infrastructure practices in urban areas. With Philadelphia serving as the pilot area, the EPA has partnered with Philadelphia's Green City, Clean Waters program to identify cost-effective and innovative approaches to reducing runoff from combined sewer systems that may overflow during heavy rainstorms.
Green infrastructure investments make communities cleaner, healthier, and more attractive places to live and work by retaining or redirecting water into the ground, where plants and soil will naturally filter the water. They not only help avoid system overflows that channel untreated wastewaster directly into waterways but also reduce violations of the Clean Water Act.
This research represents a broad, long term investment to implement green infrastructure storm water management practices. The following universities received these EPA grants:
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania
- Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
- Temple University, Ambler, Pennsylvania
- University of New Hampshire, Durham
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
To learn more about sustainable policies and practices, log on to the NACUBO Sustainability Community.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Task Force Urges Regulatory Reform
- Legislators Take Action on Education, Charitable and Research Incentives
- Associations Comment on College Ratings System
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis