Confused About Carbon Offsets? New Guidance Issued
December 18, 2008
Many institutions are developing climate action plans to assess, mitigate, and reverse their greenhouse gas emissions (GHG). To alleviate some of the confusion around purchasing offsets, the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment recently released "Investing in Carbon Offsets: Guidelines for ACUCC Institutions" and a companion "Voluntary Carbon Offsets Protocol."
For institutions trying to achieve carbon neutrality, there is clarity needed around several questions:
- Should offsets be incorporated into Climate Action Plans?
- When and how should they be included?
- What steps can be taken to ensure that investments in offsets are legitimate, credible, and effective?
This new resource provides guidelines for institutions as they engage in voluntary carbon offset markets.
Offsets are a potentially effective mechanism for complementing internal reduction activities, but they are not intended to replace them. Institutions should first:
- avoid their own emissions through smart planning and conservation;
- reduce their own emissions through efficiency and other measures; and
- replace their own emissions-intensive activities with cleaner alternatives.
Emissions reductions should be: real and tangible; additional; transparent; measurable; permanent; verified; synchronous; registered; and retired. The protocol calls for offsets to represent absolute avoidance of existing GHG emissions, and project that only result in the avoidance of future emissions are not valid.
As carbon markets continue to evolve, the principles and details of the protocol and accompanying guidelines will evolve as well. For more information and resources about carbon neutrality, visit the ACUPCC website.
- Final Report for the 2016 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments is Now Available
- What Did I Miss? February 28-March 20, 2017
- ACA Repeal Moves Forward as House Republicans Unveil Their Health Care Replacement Plan
- WEBCAST: Innovative Ways to Fund and Launch Online Degree Programs
Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Friday, March 31, 2017 12:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: How to Budget for Technology That Aligns with Institutional Goals
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Update to Strategic Financial Analysis for Higher Education, 7th Edition: Corrections, Clarifications, and Consistency of Application
Monday, May 22, 2017 1:00PM ET