Clean Energy Bond Resources Available Online
June 11, 2014
Bonds are often used in development of projects for the public good, but recently these bonds have been pooled together for multiple purposes: to improve energy efficiency, update water infrastructure, create renewable energy options and update/modernize campus buildings. For eligible nonprofits, this funding source is being used for multiple campus improvement projects.
In addition to the brief, presentation slides from a free webinar also are available to download. The presentation highlights three higher education institutions that have undergone multiple capital projects to improve energy and deferred maintenance, along with addressing the changing needs of the campus. They include:
- Illinois College used Lease Revenue Bonds for its Parker Science Building and Garner Residence Hall. The college had existing $12.97 million in current bonds and took an additional $3.9 million to: upgrade mechanical/electrical systems for a residence hall built in 1954; upgrade chilled water piping in a science building; consolidate utility meters; and install energy efficient lighting and building automation systems campus-wide.
- Elmhurst College is using $25 million for Leadership in Energy and Environment Designed-gold 170-room student housing and "green" surface parking lot featuring permeable paving and national landscaping along with general campus-wide renovations and improvements to increase energy efficiency.
- Loyola University utilized $92 million to finance significant construction of three student housing projects and campus-wide renovation to improve energy efficiency.
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Senator Releases Survey Results on Sexual Assault
- ED Unveils 2014 College Cost Watch Lists
- Inflation-Adjusted Net Tuition Revenue at Private Institutions Flat
- ON-DEMAND: Call the Internal Consultants: Lessons from Business Practice Improvement
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis