Call for Pilot Institutions and Reviewers for National Sustainability Rating System
October 31, 2007
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) seeks pilot institutions and reviewers to comment on drafts of an assessment and self-evaluation tool for college and university campuses. The project, STARS (Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System), intends to rate institution sustainability efforts nationwide.
STARS has been under development for more than a year, with input and guidance from the higher education community. The rating system includes four main evaluation areas-governance and finance, social responsibility and student engagement, education and research, and operations-with the goal of providing a usable, comprehensive measurement of effectiveness for sustainability in higher education. Within the governance and finance category are sections on "funding" and "investment." The system is currently in its comments phase.
NACUBO members and staff are represented on the technical and strategic advisory committees. For a complete list of committee members, see http://www.aashe.net/stars/committees.php#strategic
STARS is designed to:
- help gauge the progress of colleges and universities toward sustainability in all sectors, from governance and operations to academics and community engagement;
- enable meaningful comparisons across institutions as well as benchmarking within institutions;
- create incentives for continuous improvement toward sustainability; and
- build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.
The pilot phase will begin in early 2008. Pilot institutions will test-run the STARS checklist and provide feedback on the process to AASHE. Information from the pilot phase will be used to set thresholds of achievement by institutional type and to adjust specific indicators. A diverse group of participating institutions in this phase will ensure accurate threshold setting before the release of version 1.0 in 2009.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis