Campus Sustainability Resources
Leadership knows the number of students, academic programs, tuitition costs - one should also know the campus square footage, how much energy (BTU and electrical) and water consumed along with waste and carbon footprint. See the APPA/NACUBO Key Facilities Metrics. Leadership should know these data points to assist in strategic planning. Data from vendor/utilities bills can be entered from the previous academic year starting in September and survey closes in early December.
Every CFO should evaluate the mission of its institution and align processes to improve sustainability; both in terms of financial and environmental stability. Leadership should connect sustainability as part of the core mission; to advance and interconnect operations and academics to improve overall campus efficiency (energy, space use, water, etc.), reduce carbon footprint and advancing overall campus resiliency.
One definition for Sustainability is: "the ability to meet current needs without compromising the ability for future generations to do the same". Another is "a decision-making process that incorporates economic development priorities, social equity and environmental protection so that actions return long-term benefits without harming people or the environment."
Either definition has the CFO/CBO in a leadership position that can impact the campus sustainability.
Components of sustainability are suggested below for the CFO and campus to evaluate. Financial and business leadership begins with evaluation, questioning and probing these issues to improve the campus.
The Sustainability Advisory Panel also provided a list of resources related to sustainability initiatives, practices, and research on each of their campus. These resources can be used as a guide to reducing the ecological footprint at your institution.
- Carleton College
Sustainability at Carleton College
- University of California, Irvine
Sustainability - University of California Irvine
- Brandman University
Center for Sustainable Living
- McLennan Community College
Life is Green at MCC
- Illinois Green Economy Network (IGEN)
Community College Partnership
- Arizona State University
ASU Global Institute of Sustainability
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
Sustainability at UW Oshkosh
- Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia Tech Recognized for Celebrating Sustainability
Scheller College Wins Grant to Start Center on Business Strategies for Sustainability
- Pacific Lutheran University
STARS: Sustainability, Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System
- University of Washington
Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Sally Grans Korsh
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives