Results From 2013-14 Are Available!
Check out the article on Key Facilities Metrics in the September "Business Officer" magazine
2014/2015 Key Facilities Metrics - Benefit YOUR campus by filling in data from vendor/utility bills on BTU, electrical, water, waste, and carbon.
Get easy-to-remember ratios in February 2016 that will help plan and improve YOUR campus. www.appa.org/nacubosurvey15/
Two $500 APPLE certificates will be given to randomly selected participants who fill out at least two of the five consumption metrics: BTU, Electrical, Water, Waste or Carbon
2014/2015 Key Facilities Metrics survey is supported by First American Education Finance* A City National Bank Company.
Free webinar on Reducing Plugloads in your buildings!
Monday, Dec. 1, 2015 from 3:00 to 4:00 P.M. EDT from the Better Buildings - Department of Energy
Presenters: Rois Lander, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Moria Hafer, Stanford University, Jason Sielcken, U.S. General Administration Services on
"Plug into Energy Savings: Strategies and Resources for Reducing Plugload Energty Use in Your Buildings"
Sign up for the free webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/9156275809297586177
Expanding Financial Leadership Series: Facilities, Energy Efficiency and SustainabilityIn the web series Expanding Financial Leadership: Facilities, Energy Efficiency and Sustainability there are three 30-minute videos that will inform participants on how to expand their knowledge base to create a conceptual facilities framework that can impact their campuses for years to come. Videos in the series include:
- Strengthening University Environmental Leadership (December 2014)
- Food Recovery Network: How Campuses Can Fight Waste and Feed People (November 2014)
- Definitions and Strategies for Sustainability (October 2014)
Events in Sustainability
- Department of Energy has ongoing free webinars on the Better Buildings Alliance
- Security and Sustainability Forum (SSF)
- Free webinar available regarding climate change
Previously Recorded Events
- Free webinar presented by CDFA—Clean Energy Bond Finance Model: Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (Recorded on May 29, 2014)
- EPA: Building Your Internal Network: Making the Switch to Green Power (Recorded on December 17, 2013
- Department of Energy Engaging Students in Energy On-Demand Webinar (Recorded on December 13, 2013)
- EPA: Long-term Power Purchase Agreements for Wind Power: University Perspectives (Recorded on April 9, 2013)
- Press Release: UC Announces New Approaches to Combat Climate Change (September 10, 2014)
- Bowdoin College, in Brunswick, Maine, broke ground in July on a solar power complex that will be seven times the size of the largest existing solar installation in the state. The partnership is unique as SolarCity Corporation financed, built, will maintain and own the solar installation on the college property and Bowdoin will purchase all the generated power.
- University of California Irvine. "Home Run" Energy Retrofits (Proven measures with near-certain cost/benefit results)
- Climate of Change features a series of videos showcasing the University of Washington's sustainability efforts in campus operations, research, teaching, and co-curricular programs.
- College Planning and Management: Arizona State University: Solar-Powered Sun Devils
- Texas Water Report: Going Deeper for the Solution. Drought issues impact many states. However, even if drought is not a factor in your region, cost of water filtration is still impacting campuses. Unite report from Texas on State of Water has applicable parts for the entire country.
- Sub-metering Analysis for Energy and Water in Buildings enables improved performance.
- "Smart Laboratories" can cut energy consumption by more than half. The UC Irvine campus discusses how a smart lab can be a true energy savings; retrofitting to a savings of energy by 50% (and greater).
- IGEN Electric Value—white paper created for the Illinois Green Economy Network on the Role of Community Colleges in Developing an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure.
- Department of Energy Better Buildings Alliance has a whole sector devoted to higher education - check out these campus activities.
- International Panel on Climate Change Issues New Findings (October 2, 2013)
- Better Buildings US Department of Energy webcast: Speaking the CFO's Language: Building the Case for Energy Efficiency with Financial Decision Makers
- NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel Survey Results — Chief Business Officers share their campuses' environmental protection/sustainability efforts. A full copy of the survey is available.
- Sustainability Issues for CFO's to Consider Every CFO should evaluate the mission of its institution and align processes to improve sustainability.
- The California Community Colleges have created a unique Sustainability Plan Template that may assist other campuses as they begin, refine or verify their ongoing work in advancing sustainability.
- Green Jobs Factsheet — Jobs in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Green Revolving Funds: A Guide to Implementation and Management — provides practical guidance for designing, implementing, and managing a green revolving fund at a college, university, or other institution
- Clean Energy Bond Finance Model—Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (A joint project of Clean Energy Group and Council Development Finance Agencies)
- Hampshire College and Second Nature Moving Forward: Advancing the Intentionally Designed Endowment
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Power Partnership
- NACUBO Publication: The Business Case for Renewable Energy: A Guide of Colleges and Universities
- NACUBO Publication: Communities of Opportunity: Smart Growth Strategies for Colleges and Universities
- Intentionally Designed Endowment Primer–by Second Nature
- Princeton/USGBC Review Guide to 322 Green Colleges: 2013 Edition profiles 322 institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada that demonstrate notable commitments to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation. This book is the only free, comprehensive, annually updated guide to green colleges.
- Energy 101 is a framework for educators, administrators, and other interested parties who would like to learn about the Energy 101 course framework and how their institutions can get involved in this effort.
- White Paper: Leading the Nation to a Safe and Secure Energy Future (June 2012)
- Testimony Submitted to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on Financing Energy Efficient Buildings (June 28, 2012)
- Campus Green Builder: an online portal offering resources on funding, technical expertise, campus green building case studies, blogs, as well as upcoming green building events. Plus the site offers opportunities for institutions to share their own resources and take advantage of discounts for memberships to other organizations and green building information. Conservation Nationals Video Contest Winners: This is the third year The National Wildlife Foundation, along with Alliance to Save Energy, Lucid Foundation and US Green Building Council has sponsored this unique challenge to reduce energy and conserve water. It has published its results from the competition that started in Feb - April 2013.
- Campus Conservation Nationals: National Wildlife Federation Announces the 2013 Results for the Campus Conservation Nationals Competition
During NACUBO's 2014 Annual Meeting in Seattle, Wash., the Sustainability Advisory Panel held its first SAP Open House. The event featured over 30 posters from member institutions related to sustainability and energy efficiency efforts on their campus. Poster topics included geothermal energy, developing resources for saving water, engaging in renewable energy options, improving the campus carbon footprint, and engaging students and faculty in saving energy.
Sustainability Advisory Panel
Volunteer Leadership: NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel
- 2016 ED Green Ribbon School Applications Accepted
(September 8, 2015)
- 153 Campuses Named "Cool Schools"
(August 25, 2015)
- Congressional Energy Expo Features Campus Efficiencies
(July 13, 2015)
- EPA Announces Athletic Conferences With Most Green Power
(June 29, 2015)
- Share Your Campus Efficiency Story in Nashville
(June 1, 2015)
- Key Facilities Metrics Survey Results Now Available
(May 18, 2015)
- Nine Campuses Named Green Ribbon Schools
(May 4, 2015)
- EPA Announces Top Users of Green Power
(February 5, 2015)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Business Intel
- Posters Portray Savings
- Structured Sustainability
- Investing for Impact
- Going for Zero
- Vantage Point
- A Method to the Menu
- Spatial Concepts
- Sustainability in Practice
- The World Is Lateral
Sally Grans Korsh
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis