FREE WEBINARS on Sustainabilty: recent ones added on the intersection of Deferred Maintenance and sustainabilty
Turning Deferred Maintenance Challenges into Savings: intersection of aging buildings and sustainabilty featuring Michelle Smith, capital planning and management green building coodinator from University of Vermont.
Bending the Deferred Mainteance Curve - Value of Whole Building Energy Retrofits featuring Wendell Brase, vice chancellor for administrative & business services, University of California Irvine
Sightlines/University of New Hampshire Webinar
Exploring the State of Sustainabilty in Higher Education 2015 - January 27, 2016 at 1 pm EST
2014-15 Survey closed Dec 14 - Results in 2016 - plan to participate next year!
Two $500 APPLE gift cards were given out to randomly selected participants who filled out at least two of the five consumption metrics: BTU, Electrical, Water, Waste or Carbon
Check out the article on Key Facilities Metrics in the September "Business Officer" magazine.
Beta results will be sent to campuses in January and we will have easy-to-remember ratios in February 2016 that will help plan and improve YOUR campus. www.appa.org/nacubosurvey15/
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-861-2571 with ANY questions!
2014/2015 Key Facilities Metrics survey is supported by First American Education Finance* A City National Bank Company.
Expanding Financial Leadership Series: Facilities, Energy Efficiency Sustainability AND Deferred maintenanceIn the web series Expanding Financial Leadership: Facilities, Energy Efficiency and Sustainability there are now five 30-minute videos that will inform participants on how to expand their knowledge base to create a conceptual facilities framework that can impact their campuses for years to come. Videos in the series include:
- Strengthening University Environmental Leadership (December 2014)
- Food Recovery Network: How Campuses Can Fight Waste and Feed People (November 2014)
- Definitions and Strategies for Sustainability (October 2014)
Events in Sustainability
- Department of Energy has ongoing free webinars on the Better Buildings Alliance
- Security and Sustainability Forum (SSF)
- Free webinar available regarding climate change
Previously Recorded Events
- Free webinar presented by CDFA—Clean Energy Bond Finance Model: Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (Recorded on May 29, 2014)
- EPA: Building Your Internal Network: Making the Switch to Green Power (Recorded on December 17, 2013
- Department of Energy Engaging Students in Energy On-Demand Webinar (Recorded on December 13, 2013)
- EPA: Long-term Power Purchase Agreements for Wind Power: University Perspectives (Recorded on April 9, 2013)
- Bowdoin College, in Brunswick, Maine, broke ground in July on a solar power complex that will be seven times the size of the largest existing solar installation in the state. The partnership is unique as SolarCity Corporation financed, built, will maintain and own the solar installation on the college property and Bowdoin will purchase all the generated power.
- University of California Irvine. "Home Run" Energy Retrofits (Proven measures with near-certain cost/benefit results)
- Climate of Change features a series of videos showcasing the University of Washington's sustainability efforts in campus operations, research, teaching, and co-curricular programs.
- College Planning and Management: Arizona State University: Solar-Powered Sun Devils
- Texas Water Report: Going Deeper for the Solution. Drought issues impact many states. However, even if drought is not a factor in your region, cost of water filtration is still impacting campuses. Unite report from Texas on State of Water has applicable parts for the entire country.
- Sub-metering Analysis for Energy and Water in Buildings enables improved performance.
- "Smart Laboratories" can cut energy consumption by more than half. The UC Irvine campus discusses how a smart lab can be a true energy savings; retrofitting to a savings of energy by 50% (and greater).
- IGEN Electric Value—white paper created for the Illinois Green Economy Network on the Role of Community Colleges in Developing an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure.
- Department of Energy Better Buildings Alliance has a whole sector devoted to higher education - check out these campus activities.
- Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) has latest reports on Climate Change
- Internatinal Panel on Climate Change - Physical Science Basis (2014)
- International Panel on Climate Change Issues New Findings (October 2, 2013)
- Better Buildings US Department of Energy webcast: Speaking the CFO's Language: Building the Case for Energy Efficiency with Financial Decision Makers
- NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel Survey Results — Chief Business Officers share their campuses' environmental protection/sustainability efforts. A full copy of the survey is available.
- Sustainability Issues for CFO's to Consider Every CFO should evaluate the mission of its institution and align processes to improve sustainability.
- The California Community Colleges have created a unique Sustainability Plan Template that may assist other campuses as they begin, refine or verify their ongoing work in advancing sustainability.
- Green Jobs Factsheet — Jobs in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Green Revolving Funds: A Guide to Implementation and Management — provides practical guidance for designing, implementing, and managing a green revolving fund at a college, university, or other institution
- Clean Energy Bond Finance Model—Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (A joint project of Clean Energy Group and Council Development Finance Agencies)
- Hampshire College and Second Nature Moving Forward: Advancing the Intentionally Designed Endowment
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Power Partnership
- NACUBO Publication: The Business Case for Renewable Energy: A Guide of Colleges and Universities
- NACUBO Publication: Communities of Opportunity: Smart Growth Strategies for Colleges and Universities
- Intentionally Designed Endowment Primer–by Second Nature
- Princeton/USGBC Review Guide to 322 Green Colleges: 2013 Edition profiles 322 institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada that demonstrate notable commitments to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation. This book is the only free, comprehensive, annually updated guide to green colleges.
- Energy 101 is a framework for educators, administrators, and other interested parties who would like to learn about the Energy 101 course framework and how their institutions can get involved in this effort.
- White Paper: Leading the Nation to a Safe and Secure Energy Future (June 2012)
- Testimony Submitted to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on Financing Energy Efficient Buildings (June 28, 2012)
- Campus Green Builder: an online portal offering resources on funding, technical expertise, campus green building case studies, blogs, as well as upcoming green building events. Plus the site offers opportunities for institutions to share their own resources and take advantage of discounts for memberships to other organizations and green building information. Conservation Nationals Video Contest Winners: This is the third year The National Wildlife Foundation, along with Alliance to Save Energy, Lucid Foundation and US Green Building Council has sponsored this unique challenge to reduce energy and conserve water. It has published its results from the competition that started in Feb - April 2013.
- Campus Conservation Nationals: National Wildlife Federation Announces the 2013 Results for the Campus Conservation Nationals Competition
Over 40 campus posters - review by campus type of by subject - great information from other campuses!
During NACUBO's 2014 Annual Meeting in Seattle, Wash., the Sustainability Advisory Panel held its first SAP Open House. The event featured over 30 posters from member institutions related to sustainability and energy efficiency efforts on their campus. Poster topics included geothermal energy, developing resources for saving water, engaging in renewable energy options, improving the campus carbon footprint, and engaging students and faculty in saving energy.
Sustainability Advisory Panel
Volunteer Leadership: NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel
- Campuses Sign Climate Pledge Act
(December 2, 2015)
- 2016 ED Green Ribbon School Applications Accepted
(September 8, 2015)
- 153 Campuses Named "Cool Schools"
(August 25, 2015)
- Congressional Energy Expo Features Campus Efficiencies
(July 13, 2015)
- EPA Announces Athletic Conferences With Most Green Power
(June 29, 2015)
- Share Your Campus Efficiency Story in Nashville
(June 1, 2015)
- Key Facilities Metrics Survey Results Now Available
(May 18, 2015)
- Nine Campuses Named Green Ribbon Schools
(May 4, 2015)
- EPA Announces Top Users of Green Power
(February 5, 2015)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Business Intel
- Posters Portray Savings
- Structured Sustainability
- Investing for Impact
- Going for Zero
- Vantage Point
- A Method to the Menu
- Spatial Concepts
- Sustainability in Practice
- The World Is Lateral
Sally Grans Korsh
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- College Endowment Average Return Falls to 2.4 Percent in FY15, Endowment Spending Up Sharply
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Student Financial Services
March 13-15, 2016
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis