Feature EventSustainable Advisory Panel Open House Call for Proposals
Highlight Your Campus' Sustainability Efforts. NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel is seeking posters that highlight unique issues or initiatives in energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability. Share your initiative, brag about financial savings, carbon reduction, community engagement, waste diversion, or students/staff/faculty enlightenment. The posters will be displayed at the sustainability campus affiliates open house on Saturday, July 19 and throughout the remainder of the annual meeting. Download this form for more information and to register your poster submission. Sign up by May 1, to receive a 10% discount for the Annual Meeting (up to two registrants). Register now.
Events in Sustainability
- Webinar: Clean Energy Finance through the Bond Market: A New Option for Progress
- Webinar Registration (April 22, 2014; 1:00 PM EST)
- Campus Sustainability Day (October 22, 2014)
- Green Apple Day of Service (Septmber 27, 2014)
- EPA: Building Your Internal Network: Making the Switch to Green Power (Recorded on December 17, 2013
- Department of Energy Engaging Students in Energy On-Demand Webinar (Recorded on December 13, 2013)
- EPA: Long-term Power Purchase Agreements for Wind Power: University Perspectives (Recorded on April 9, 2013)
- College Planning and Management: Arizona State University: Solar-Powered Sun Devils
- Texas Water Report: Going Deeper for the Solution. Drought issues impact many states. However, even if drought is not a factor in your region, cost of water filtration is still impacting campuses. Unite report from Texas on State of Water has applicable parts for the entire country.
- Sub-metering Analysis for Energy and Water in Buildings enables improved performance.
- "Smart Laboratories" can cut energy consumption by more than half. The UC Irvine campus discusses how a smart lab can be a true energy savings; retrofitting to a savings of energy by 50% (and greater).
- IGEN Electric Value—white paper created for the Illinois Green Economy Network on the Role of Community Colleges in Developing an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure.
- International Panel on Climate Change Issues New Findings (October 2, 2013)
- Better Buildings US Department of Energy webcast: Speaking the CFO's Language: Building the Case for Energy Efficiency with Financial Decision Makers
- NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel Survey Results — Chief Business Officers share their campuses' environmental protection/sustainability efforts. A full copy of the survey is available.
- Sustainability Issues for CFO's to Consider Every CFO should evaluate the mission of its institution and align processes to improve sustainability.
- The California Community Colleges have created a unique Sustainability Plan Template that may assist other campuses as they begin, refine or verify their ongoing work in advancing sustainability.
- Green Jobs Factsheet — Jobs in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Green Revolving Funds: A Guide to Implementation and Management — provides practical guidance for designing, implementing, and managing a green revolving fund at a college, university, or other institution
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Power Partnership
- NACUBO Publication: The Business Case for Renewable Energy: A Guide of Colleges and Universities
- NACUBO Publication: Communities of Opportunity: Smart Growth Strategies for Colleges and Universities
- Intentionally Designed Endowment Primer–by Second Nature
- Princeton/USGBC Review Guide to 322 Green Colleges: 2013 Edition profiles 322 institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada that demonstrate notable commitments to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation. This book is the only free, comprehensive, annually updated guide to green colleges.
- Energy 101 is a framework for educators, administrators, and other interested parties who would like to learn about the Energy 101 course framework and how their institutions can get involved in this effort.
- White Paper: Leading the Nation to a Safe and Secure Energy Future (June 2012)
- Testimony Submitted to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on Financing Energy Efficient Buildings (June 28, 2012)
- Campus Green Builder: an online portal offering resources on funding, technical expertise, campus green building case studies, blogs, as well as upcoming green building events. Plus the site offers opportunities for institutions to share their own resources and take advantage of discounts for memberships to other organizations and green building information.us Conservation Nationals Video Contest Winners: This is the third year The National Wildlife Foundation, along with Alliance to Save Energy, Lucid Foundation and US Green Building Council has sponsored this unique challenge to reduce energy and conserve water. It has published its results from the competition that started in Feb - April 2013.
- Campus Conservation Nationals: National Wildlife Federation Announces the 2013 Results for the Campus Conservation Nationals Competition
Sustainability Advisory Panel
Volunteer Leadership: NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel
- Communicating About Climate Change
(April 2, 2014)
- Center for Green Schools Issues 2013 Report Card
(March 20, 2014)
- What Color Is Your Roof? White Wins Out
(February 5, 2014)
- EPA Grants Support Urban Watershed Research
(January 23, 2014)
- UC Irvine Smart Labs Wins State's Highest Environmental Honor
(January 1, 2014)
- Learning Spaces for 21st Century Students
(November 27, 2013)
- EPA Recognizes Food Recovery Efforts
(November 27, 2013)
- New Facts Counter Environmental Myths
(October 17, 2013)
- International Panel on Climate Change Issues New Findings
(October 2, 2013)
- Campus Sports Get Greener
(September 9, 2013)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Vantage Point
- A Method to the Menu
- Spatial Concepts
- Sustainability in Practice
- The World Is Lateral
- On the Water Front
- More Than Good Neighbors
- Revival of the Fittest
- The Horse Before the Cart
- Business Intel
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- ED Tightens New "Gainful Employment" Rules
- GASB Studies Irrevocable Charitable Trusts
- ED Negotiations Focus on Cash Management
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis