2014 NACUBO Annual Meeting: Please join us for the inaugural Sustainability Advisory Panel (SAP) Open House at the 2014 Annual Meeting in Seattle. On Saturday, July 19 from 4-6pm at the Sheridan Hotel, view posters highlighting unique campus issues and initiatives in energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability. Special “Sustainable Campus” ribbons will be given to all Open House attendees for placement on their conference name badges in recognition of their commitment.
Events in Sustainability
- Security and Sustainability Forum (SSF)
Free webinars presented by SSF on renewable energy issues on the following dates: July 24, August 7, August 21, September 4, and September 18.
- Free webinar presented by CDFA—Clean Energy Bond Finance Model: Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (Recorded on May 29, 2014)
- Green Apple Day of Service (September 27, 2014)
- Campus Sustainability Day (October 22, 2014)
- EPA: Building Your Internal Network: Making the Switch to Green Power (Recorded on December 17, 2013
- Department of Energy Engaging Students in Energy On-Demand Webinar (Recorded on December 13, 2013)
- EPA: Long-term Power Purchase Agreements for Wind Power: University Perspectives (Recorded on April 9, 2013)
- College Planning and Management: Arizona State University: Solar-Powered Sun Devils
- Texas Water Report: Going Deeper for the Solution. Drought issues impact many states. However, even if drought is not a factor in your region, cost of water filtration is still impacting campuses. Unite report from Texas on State of Water has applicable parts for the entire country.
- Sub-metering Analysis for Energy and Water in Buildings enables improved performance.
- "Smart Laboratories" can cut energy consumption by more than half. The UC Irvine campus discusses how a smart lab can be a true energy savings; retrofitting to a savings of energy by 50% (and greater).
- IGEN Electric Value—white paper created for the Illinois Green Economy Network on the Role of Community Colleges in Developing an Electric Vehicle Infrastructure.
- International Panel on Climate Change Issues New Findings (October 2, 2013)
- Better Buildings US Department of Energy webcast: Speaking the CFO's Language: Building the Case for Energy Efficiency with Financial Decision Makers
- NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel Survey Results — Chief Business Officers share their campuses' environmental protection/sustainability efforts. A full copy of the survey is available.
- Sustainability Issues for CFO's to Consider Every CFO should evaluate the mission of its institution and align processes to improve sustainability.
- The California Community Colleges have created a unique Sustainability Plan Template that may assist other campuses as they begin, refine or verify their ongoing work in advancing sustainability.
- Green Jobs Factsheet — Jobs in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Green Revolving Funds: A Guide to Implementation and Management — provides practical guidance for designing, implementing, and managing a green revolving fund at a college, university, or other institution
- Clean Energy Bond Finance Model—Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds (A joint project of Clean Energy Group and Council Development Finance Agencies)
- Hampshire College and Second Nature Moving Forward: Advancing the Intentionally Designed Endowment
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Power Partnership
- NACUBO Publication: The Business Case for Renewable Energy: A Guide of Colleges and Universities
- NACUBO Publication: Communities of Opportunity: Smart Growth Strategies for Colleges and Universities
- Intentionally Designed Endowment Primer–by Second Nature
- Princeton/USGBC Review Guide to 322 Green Colleges: 2013 Edition profiles 322 institutions of higher education in the United States and Canada that demonstrate notable commitments to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities and career preparation. This book is the only free, comprehensive, annually updated guide to green colleges.
- Energy 101 is a framework for educators, administrators, and other interested parties who would like to learn about the Energy 101 course framework and how their institutions can get involved in this effort.
- White Paper: Leading the Nation to a Safe and Secure Energy Future (June 2012)
- Testimony Submitted to the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee on Financing Energy Efficient Buildings (June 28, 2012)
- Campus Green Builder: an online portal offering resources on funding, technical expertise, campus green building case studies, blogs, as well as upcoming green building events. Plus the site offers opportunities for institutions to share their own resources and take advantage of discounts for memberships to other organizations and green building information.us Conservation Nationals Video Contest Winners: This is the third year The National Wildlife Foundation, along with Alliance to Save Energy, Lucid Foundation and US Green Building Council has sponsored this unique challenge to reduce energy and conserve water. It has published its results from the competition that started in Feb - April 2013.
- Campus Conservation Nationals: National Wildlife Federation Announces the 2013 Results for the Campus Conservation Nationals Competition
Sustainability Advisory Panel
Volunteer Leadership: NACUBO's Sustainability Advisory Panel
- Clean Energy Bond Resources Available Online
(June 11, 2014)
- Obama Administration Recognizes UC Irvine and Delaware State University for Their Energy Efficiency Efforts
(May 15, 2014)
- 2014 Green Colleges Guide Now Online
(May 14, 2014)
- EPA Honors Campus RainWorks Challenge Winners
(April 28, 2014)
- Clemson Professor Earns Solar Champion Honors
(April 18, 2014)
- Communicating About Climate Change
(April 2, 2014)
- Center for Green Schools Issues 2013 Report Card
(March 20, 2014)
- What Color Is Your Roof? White Wins Out
(February 5, 2014)
- EPA Grants Support Urban Watershed Research
(January 23, 2014)
Business Officer Magazine Articles
- Investing for Impact
- Going for Zero
- Vantage Point
- A Method to the Menu
- Spatial Concepts
- Sustainability in Practice
- The World Is Lateral
- On the Water Front
- More Than Good Neighbors
- Revival of the Fittest
Director, Facilities Management and Environmental Policy
- Senator Releases Survey Results on Sexual Assault
- ED Unveils 2014 College Cost Watch Lists
- Inflation-Adjusted Net Tuition Revenue at Private Institutions Flat
- ON-DEMAND: Call the Internal Consultants: Lessons from Business Practice Improvement
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis