VA Plans No Changes to Refund Policy
December 17, 2012
At an annual conference hosted by the Department of Education's Federal Student Aid (FSA) office, Robert Worley, director of education services at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), confirmed that institutions agreeing to comply with Executive Order (EO) 13607, "Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members" will not have to follow ED's Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculations for VA funds.
The Principles of Excellence include a provision requiring schools to agree to an institutional refund policy that is aligned with ED's R2T4 rules when a student withdraws prior to completing a course. NACUBO, along with several other higher education associations, expressed concern with this provision and others in a June letter sent to the Secretaries charged with enforcing the Executive Order, but never received a clear answer regarding the refund policy.
An Executive Order only allows agencies to conduct activities to the extent permitted under the law. Current statutory language does not permit the return of VA funds in the manner described in the EO, explained Worley.
The Department of Defense (DoD), however, plans to include language similar to R2T4 in its third iteration of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that institutions must sign in order to participate in Tuition Assistance programs for active service members. DoD released version two of the MOU on December 7. A draft of version three of the MOU is expected to be available for comment in spring of 2013.
Slides and Audio Available
The presentation at the FSA conference provides a good overview of the Principles of Excellence. In addition to Mr. Worley, panelists included Carolyn Baker from the DoD and David Bergeron from ED. The presentation slides, along with recorded audio, are available on the FSA website. Worley addresses the refund policy issue during the Q&A portion of the session (58-minute mark).
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis