States Increase Student Aid Spending at Slower Rate
July 24, 2007
State spending on student financial aid increased by more than 7 percent in 2005-06--a slower rate than the 8 percent increase experienced in 2004-05, according to the National Association of State Student Grant and Aid Programs' 36th Annual Survey Report on state-sponsored student financial aid. States awarded $8.5 billion in state financial aid, the majority of which (82 percent) continues to be in the form of grants.
Other findings include:
- Of the state grant funds awarded, 73 percent were need-based and 27 percent were non-need-based, the same percentage as seen in 2004-05.
- State spending on aid in the form of grants climbed by 5.4 percent in 2005-06, while spending on nongrant aid surged by 15.6 percent. Loans and tuition waivers accounted for 69 percent of nongrant funds awarded.
- California, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas accounted for 65 percent of the total undergraduate need-based grant aid in the United States.
- South Carolina, Washington, D.C., Georgia, New York, and Indiana provided the greatest amount of grant aid on a per capita basis.
The full results are available on the NASSGAP Web site.
- NACUBO Responds to White House College Affordability Plans
- Recommendations for Completing Form 1098-T
- Preliminary Results Show that College and University Endowments Returned 11.7 Percent in FY13
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 27-28, 2014
- 2014 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 5-7, 2014
- 2014 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
March 3-5, 2014
- WEBCAST: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis