States Increase Student Aid Spending at Slower Rate
July 24, 2007
State spending on student financial aid increased by more than 7 percent in 2005-06--a slower rate than the 8 percent increase experienced in 2004-05, according to the National Association of State Student Grant and Aid Programs' 36th Annual Survey Report on state-sponsored student financial aid. States awarded $8.5 billion in state financial aid, the majority of which (82 percent) continues to be in the form of grants.
Other findings include:
- Of the state grant funds awarded, 73 percent were need-based and 27 percent were non-need-based, the same percentage as seen in 2004-05.
- State spending on aid in the form of grants climbed by 5.4 percent in 2005-06, while spending on nongrant aid surged by 15.6 percent. Loans and tuition waivers accounted for 69 percent of nongrant funds awarded.
- California, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas accounted for 65 percent of the total undergraduate need-based grant aid in the United States.
- South Carolina, Washington, D.C., Georgia, New York, and Indiana provided the greatest amount of grant aid on a per capita basis.
The full results are available on the NASSGAP Web site.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis