Questions Raised About the Department of Education’s eZ-Audit
April 10, 2003
On March 27, representatives from NACUBO, the American Council on Education (ACE), and the Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) met with officials from the Department of Education to discuss ED’s plans to mandate a Web-based collection process for the submission of institutional audits. The higher education associations expressed concerns that this new eZ-Audit process violated the Single Audit Act and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-133, set a bad precedent for other federal agencies, and imposed new administrative burdens on campuses by requiring them to input numerous data elements into ED’s system.
The associations asked ED to consider making eZ-Audit a voluntary process and working with OMB to develop a government-wide electronic process that all agencies could use. NACUBO also noted that this process currently calls for unnecessary or duplicative data, and some data elements lack appropriate definition.
Following the meeting, NACUBO, ACE, COGR, and other associations sent a joint letter to ED summarizing concerns about the new eZ-Audit process. Institutions that submitted their audits for the past fiscal year to the Federal Audit Clearinghouse on or before March 31, 2003, are under no immediate pressure to sign up for the new system, which went live on April 1. NACUBO will provide an update as soon as ED responds to our concerns.
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis