Prepaid Tuition Plan for Independent Colleges Approved
February 13, 2003
The Independent 529 Plan, a new prepaid college tuition plan tailored specifically for independent colleges, recently received its final regulatory approval under Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code. Earnings on investments will be tax-exempt. Independent U.S. colleges that participate in the program will honor the plan’s tuition certificates.
Unlike 529 college savings programs in which people invest contributions for later use when college is attended, Independent 529 Plan contributions represent the purchase of a portion of an independent college's tuition at today's prices, which will be accepted as payment when the student eventually attends an independent college.
According to Doug Brown, president of Tuition Plan Consortium (TPC)—the nonprofit group that will run the program—the benefit will be even greater, given that a participating independent college will also offer and guarantee a certificate discount on tuition for the year in question.
TPC is targeting the start of the plan—allowing the purchase of tuition certificates—for this summer. TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing, Inc. will administer the plan, and TIAA-CREF Trust Company, FSB, will manage its investments.
- Final Rules Issued on the Violence Against Women Act
- FASB Gives Go-Ahead for Exposure Draft on NFP Reporting
- CDC Advises Colleges, Universities and Students about Ebola
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis