Prepaid Tuition Plan for Independent Colleges Approved
February 13, 2003
The Independent 529 Plan, a new prepaid college tuition plan tailored specifically for independent colleges, recently received its final regulatory approval under Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code. Earnings on investments will be tax-exempt. Independent U.S. colleges that participate in the program will honor the plan’s tuition certificates.
Unlike 529 college savings programs in which people invest contributions for later use when college is attended, Independent 529 Plan contributions represent the purchase of a portion of an independent college's tuition at today's prices, which will be accepted as payment when the student eventually attends an independent college.
According to Doug Brown, president of Tuition Plan Consortium (TPC)—the nonprofit group that will run the program—the benefit will be even greater, given that a participating independent college will also offer and guarantee a certificate discount on tuition for the year in question.
TPC is targeting the start of the plan—allowing the purchase of tuition certificates—for this summer. TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing, Inc. will administer the plan, and TIAA-CREF Trust Company, FSB, will manage its investments.
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis