New ED Appointments Confirmed
August 12, 2010
On June 22, Eduardo M. Ochoa was confirmed by the Senate for assistant secretary for postsecondary education in the U.S. Department of Education. Prior to his confirmation, Dr. Ochoa was provost and vice president for academic affairs at Sonoma State University, where he had served since 2003. In these roles, he was responsible for the university's academic programs, strategic planning, and its diversity initiative. His background in higher education also includes positions as dean and professor at the California State Polytechnic University at Pomona.
In his new role, Dr. Ochoa will operate as the senior official responsible for overseeing federal policies for colleges and universities, and he will be the chief adviser to the education secretary on higher education issues. This is a key position that has been vacant since President Obama took office in 2009. Dr. Ochoa will work closely with Under Secretary of Education Martha Kanter.
Additionally, on July 1 James Kvaal replaced Robert Shireman as the department's deputy under secretary. A long-time advocate of higher education, he worked on higher education issues in the Clinton administration, and he is a supporter of President Obama's initiative to increase the number of Americans with postsecondary credentials by 2020. Mr. Kvaal's background includes positions at the White House National Economic Council and the Center for American Progress. He , joined the staff of Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) in 2001, and that of former Senator John Edwards (D-N.C.) in 2003. In 2009, he joined the White House National Economic Council as a special assistant.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Federal Court Postpones Effective Date of Overtime Rule
- 1098-T Box 1 Reporting Will Not be Required Until 2018 Tax Year
- EPA Issues Hazardous Waste Generator Improvements Rule
- 2017 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 23-24, 2017
- 2017 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 1-3, 2017
- ON-DEMAND: The CBO's Role in Diversity and Inclusion on Campus
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives