New ED Appointments Confirmed
August 12, 2010
On June 22, Eduardo M. Ochoa was confirmed by the Senate for assistant secretary for postsecondary education in the U.S. Department of Education. Prior to his confirmation, Dr. Ochoa was provost and vice president for academic affairs at Sonoma State University, where he had served since 2003. In these roles, he was responsible for the university's academic programs, strategic planning, and its diversity initiative. His background in higher education also includes positions as dean and professor at the California State Polytechnic University at Pomona.
In his new role, Dr. Ochoa will operate as the senior official responsible for overseeing federal policies for colleges and universities, and he will be the chief adviser to the education secretary on higher education issues. This is a key position that has been vacant since President Obama took office in 2009. Dr. Ochoa will work closely with Under Secretary of Education Martha Kanter.
Additionally, on July 1 James Kvaal replaced Robert Shireman as the department's deputy under secretary. A long-time advocate of higher education, he worked on higher education issues in the Clinton administration, and he is a supporter of President Obama's initiative to increase the number of Americans with postsecondary credentials by 2020. Mr. Kvaal's background includes positions at the White House National Economic Council and the Center for American Progress. He , joined the staff of Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) in 2001, and that of former Senator John Edwards (D-N.C.) in 2003. In 2009, he joined the White House National Economic Council as a special assistant.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Affordable Care Act: Final Rules on Coverage for Adjuncts and Students
- Administrative Jobs and Benefits Costs Drive Higher Ed Labor Costs
- OMB Super Circular Makes Changes to Audit Requirements
- 2014 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 27-29, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding the Results of the 2013 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments, and a Look to 2014 and Beyond
- ON-DEMAND: How Behavioral Changes Helped Cut Energy Usage in Half
- ON-DEMAND: Developing a Market-Informed Approach to Tuition Pricing
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: The Process Necessary to Complete a Successful Implementation
- ON-DEMAND: OD: Responsibility Center Management: How Innovations Have Changed the Nature of RCM
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis