New ED Appointments Confirmed
August 12, 2010
On June 22, Eduardo M. Ochoa was confirmed by the Senate for assistant secretary for postsecondary education in the U.S. Department of Education. Prior to his confirmation, Dr. Ochoa was provost and vice president for academic affairs at Sonoma State University, where he had served since 2003. In these roles, he was responsible for the university's academic programs, strategic planning, and its diversity initiative. His background in higher education also includes positions as dean and professor at the California State Polytechnic University at Pomona.
In his new role, Dr. Ochoa will operate as the senior official responsible for overseeing federal policies for colleges and universities, and he will be the chief adviser to the education secretary on higher education issues. This is a key position that has been vacant since President Obama took office in 2009. Dr. Ochoa will work closely with Under Secretary of Education Martha Kanter.
Additionally, on July 1 James Kvaal replaced Robert Shireman as the department's deputy under secretary. A long-time advocate of higher education, he worked on higher education issues in the Clinton administration, and he is a supporter of President Obama's initiative to increase the number of Americans with postsecondary credentials by 2020. Mr. Kvaal's background includes positions at the White House National Economic Council and the Center for American Progress. He , joined the staff of Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.) in 2001, and that of former Senator John Edwards (D-N.C.) in 2003. In 2009, he joined the White House National Economic Council as a special assistant.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Some Cash Management Changes Apply to All Institutions
- NACUBO Summarizes Regulations on Banking, Processing Relationships
- Education Funding Depends on Devil in the Details
- 2016 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 25-26, 2016
- 2016 Facilities and Administrative Rates - Long Form
January 25-26, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: Understanding ED's New Cash Management Rules
- ON-DEMAND: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis