Meeting Credit Card Security Requirements
May 11, 2005
If your institution stores, processes, or transmits cardholder data, you must comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS). Further, if your institution stores, processes, or transmits 20,000 to 6 million e-commerce transactions per year, you must validate compliance with PCIDSS by June 30. The June 30 e-commerce validation requirements are specific only to online transactions within the range noted above.
PCIDSS offers a single approach to safeguarding sensitive data for all card brands. Designed to create common industry security requirements, this standard is a result of collaboration between Visa and MasterCard; other card companies operating in the United States have also endorsed the PCIDSS within their respective programs.
Compliance is required of all merchants and service providers that store, process, or transmit cardholder data and applies to all payment channels: at the point of sale, over the Internet, on the phone, or through the mail.
The PCIDSS is composed of 12 basic requirements, which are supported by more detailed sub-requirements. In addition, compliance requirements must be validated. Levels of compliance are prioritized and defined on the basis of volume of transactions, potential risk, and exposure introduced in the system by merchants and service providers.
For a merchant or service provider that is not in compliance with the security requirements or that fails to rectify a security issue, Visa or MasterCard may fine the acquiring member, impose restrictions on the merchant or its agent, or permanently prohibit the merchant or its agent from participating in its programs.
More information about Visa's Card Information Security Program (CISP) is available on the Visa Web site.
NACUBO is offering an interactive webcast designed for colleges and universities that will cover compliance levels, criteria, validation actions, and compliance benefits. Meeting Credit Card Security Requirements is scheduled for May 24 and will be available for on-demand viewing after that date.
- College Endowments Average -1.9 Percent Return in FY16, But Endowment Spending Continues to Rise
- Preparing for a Game-Changing Era
- Some Football Players at Private Institutions are Employees, NLRB Says
- WEBCAST: Planning Components of Civil Discourse
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: NACUBO Live! 2017 Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Compliance Challenges for the New EPA Hazardous Waste Rule
- ON-DEMAND: The ROI of Student Success: Practical Considerations for Measuring and Conveying the Financial Value of Student Support Services
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Student Financial Services Conference