Higher Education Associations Comment on Proposed Changes to DOD MOU
October 3, 2013
On September 30, NACUBO, ACE, and several other higher education associations submitted comments to the Department of Defense regarding the agency's proposed changes to rules for its voluntary education programs, including a new version of the Memorandum of Understanding. A signed MOU is required for institutions to participate in the Tuition Assistance (TA) program, as well as other service-related tuition support programs. The draft MOU continues DOD efforts to incorporate the "Principles of Excellence" that President Obama outlined in Executive Order 13607.
The NACUBO-ACE letter addresses several areas of concern, including:
- DOD's proposal that would require institutions to return TA funds using a calculation similar to the Department of Education's Return to Title IV rules.
- The requirement for institutions to follow ED's rules on misrepresentation, incentive compensation, and state authorization.
- The ban on the use of third-party lead generators.
- DOD paying only for "tuition" rather than "tuition and fees."
- Consumer information provided to service members.
NACUBO and ACE also asked for clarification on certain terms used in the MOU, including "academic institution, "degree requirements," and "evaluated educational plan."
Once DOD has reviewed all submitted comments, the agency will publish the final version of the MOU. All institutions intending to participate in the TA program, regardless of previously signed MOUs, will need to sign the final version.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Provides Input on Tax Reform
- FASB Considers Delaying Revenue Recognition Standard
- Push for Resolution to 1098-T Fines Continues
- 2015 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 26-28, 2015
- 2015 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 3-4, 2015
- 2015 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 28-29, 2015
- WEBCAST: NACUBO LIVE!: The Future Chief Business Officer
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:00AM ET
- WEBCAST: Analytics that Support Planning, Budgeting, and Results
Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Corporate Sponsorships: Getting it Right
Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Lessons Learned in Communicating Financial Information Effectively
Monday, May 18, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Looking Under the Hood: Using Web-based Tools for Evaluating Institutional Financial Aid Policy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis