Higher Education Associations Comment on Proposed Changes to DOD MOU
October 3, 2013
On September 30, NACUBO, ACE, and several other higher education associations submitted comments to the Department of Defense regarding the agency's proposed changes to rules for its voluntary education programs, including a new version of the Memorandum of Understanding. A signed MOU is required for institutions to participate in the Tuition Assistance (TA) program, as well as other service-related tuition support programs. The draft MOU continues DOD efforts to incorporate the "Principles of Excellence" that President Obama outlined in Executive Order 13607.
The NACUBO-ACE letter addresses several areas of concern, including:
- DOD's proposal that would require institutions to return TA funds using a calculation similar to the Department of Education's Return to Title IV rules.
- The requirement for institutions to follow ED's rules on misrepresentation, incentive compensation, and state authorization.
- The ban on the use of third-party lead generators.
- DOD paying only for "tuition" rather than "tuition and fees."
- Consumer information provided to service members.
NACUBO and ACE also asked for clarification on certain terms used in the MOU, including "academic institution, "degree requirements," and "evaluated educational plan."
Once DOD has reviewed all submitted comments, the agency will publish the final version of the MOU. All institutions intending to participate in the TA program, regardless of previously signed MOUs, will need to sign the final version.
Senior Policy Analyst
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis