Financial Aid Shopping Sheet Unveiled
July 25, 2012
After a months-long collaboration with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Department of Education has released a new, standardized format for financial aid award letters. ED encourages-but does not require-colleges and universities to implement the format for the 2013-14 year.
The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is intended to provide students and their families with a simplified, easy-to-understand summary of the cost of attendance and aid available, along with several measures of institutional performance. The standardized format aims to make it easier for students to compare costs and aid offers from different institutions and understand the difference between grants and loans.
Developed as part of the administration's Know Before You Go effort to improve student awareness of the cost of college and student debt, the shopping sheet also fulfills a mandate in the Higher Education Opportunity Act to study model student aid offer letters. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan sent a letter to college presidents asking them to commit to using the shopping sheet format beginning next year (2013-14). Use of the shopping sheet is also tied to providing the financial information called for in the Principles of Excellence for military and veterans' education established in a recent Executive Order.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis