ED Unveils 2014 College Cost Watch Lists
July 9, 2014
On June 30, the Department of Education updated its annual lists of institutions sorted by price. Six separate lists are provided for nine categories of institutions, delineated by type and control. The lists are:
- Highest tuition and fees (top 5 percent)
- Lowest tuition and fees (bottom 10 percent)
- Highest net price (top 5 percent)
- Lowest net price (bottom 10 percent)
- Largest percent change in tuition and fees over three years (top 5 percent)
- Largest percent change in net price over three years (top 5 percent)
The information is posted online at the College Affordability and Transparency Center, developed by ED in response to requirements mandated by the Higher Education Opportunity Act.
Colleges and universities among the top 5 percent (by institution type) for increases in tuition and fees or net price over the past three years are required to provide additional detail to ED on their costs and efforts to control them.
ED has developed an online survey instrument to collect the information from the schools and prepared a summary report of the results for 2012, which also relied on data submitted to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) finance survey. The summary report showed that almost 40 percent of the more than 500 institutions responding cited increased enrollments as a key driver in escalating costs, requiring additional staff and facilities to meet student needs.
The report notes that public institutions often don't have control over prices charged to students. Decisions at 45 percent of the public, four-year and 70 percent of public, two-year institutions are made by a statewide authority. This is the case in the nine states that account for almost half of the public institutions that landed on the lists for the highest increases.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Tuition Discount Rates Reach New Record Level in 2015-16
- ED Offers Supplemental Cash Management Guidance
- Federal Agencies Release Guidance on Civil Rights Protections for Transgender Students
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- 2016 Managerial Analysis and Decision Support
November 17-18, 2016
- ON-DEMAND: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
- ON-DEMAND: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
- ON-DEMAND: Containing Cost and Risk with Renewables – the Power Purchase Agreement Story
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: Are Hedge Funds and Private Equity Right for You? An Analysis of Alternative Investments
- ON-DEMAND: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives