ED Revises Perkins Loan Assignment Process
August 14, 2003
The Department of Education issued a Dear Colleague Letter recently announcing changes to the process for the assignment of defaulted Federal Perkins Loans, National Direct Student Loans (NDSLs) and National Defense Student Loans (Defense) to ED for collection. This process is also used by colleges and universities to close out of the Federal Perkins Loan Program. Institutions wishing to terminate their participation are required to liquidate their Perkins Loan portfolios by assigning all outstanding loans—both defaulted and nondefaulted—to ED.
Institutions are advised to review the August 2003 Dear Colleague Letter (CB-03-12) and attachments. While institutions are not compensated for any loans assigned to ED, the procedures have been streamlined to facilitate loan assignment.
For more information, contact Laurie Quarles, senior policy analyst, at (202) 861-2543 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ED Launches New College Scorecard
- NACUBO Members Convey Legislative Priorities on Capitol Hill
- Panelists Detail Complex Campus Sexual Assault Regulations at Hearing
- 2015 Tax Forum
October 25-27, 2015
- WEBCAST: A Financially Sustainable Approach to Innovate Academic Programs
Wednesday, October 21, 2015 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
- ON-DEMAND: Developing Your Campus Distance Learning Strategy
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2015 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live!: CBO Speaks
- ON-DEMAND: A Just-in-Time Webcast to Explain FASB’s NFP Reporting Proposal
- ON-DEMAND: Decoding ED's Cash Management Proposal
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis