ED Revises Perkins Loan Assignment Process
August 14, 2003
The Department of Education issued a Dear Colleague Letter recently announcing changes to the process for the assignment of defaulted Federal Perkins Loans, National Direct Student Loans (NDSLs) and National Defense Student Loans (Defense) to ED for collection. This process is also used by colleges and universities to close out of the Federal Perkins Loan Program. Institutions wishing to terminate their participation are required to liquidate their Perkins Loan portfolios by assigning all outstanding loans—both defaulted and nondefaulted—to ED.
Institutions are advised to review the August 2003 Dear Colleague Letter (CB-03-12) and attachments. While institutions are not compensated for any loans assigned to ED, the procedures have been streamlined to facilitate loan assignment.
For more information, contact Laurie Quarles, senior policy analyst, at (202) 861-2543 or email@example.com.
- IRS Releases Final Report on College and University Compliance Project
- NACUBO Seeks Input on Ethics, Fraud, and Controls
- FY13 Implementation Reminder for Independent Institutions
- CAO and CBO Collaborations: Leveraging Institutional Capacity to Impact Effectiveness
August 5-6, 2013
- 2013 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 16-17, 2013
- WEBCAST: The Higher Education Accounting Forum Online
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET
- WEBCAST: Improve Your NFP Audit and Accounting Guide IQ
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:00 PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: OD: The Cashless and Paperless Business Office
- ON-DEMAND: Affordable Care Act: Implementation Roadmap for Colleges and Universities
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis