ED Provides Q&As on State Authorization
August 8, 2012
On July 27, the Department of Education published a Dear Colleague letter (GEN-12-13) with more details on what institutions must do to comply with state authorization requirements. Despite the recent court action vacating the ED regulation pertaining to state authorization for distance education, the letter notes that institutions remain responsible for complying with all state laws relating to distance education.
The letter answers questions on:
- When an institution needs to submit updated information about its state authorization to ED.
- Locations at which less than 50 percent of any program is offered.
- Consortia agreements with institutions in other states.
- Student complaints and consumer information.
The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) has surveyed the states to collect the information that institutions need to comply with the state authorization requirements and understand the various state requirements for out-of-state schools.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
- Program Integrity Rulemaking to Be Delayed
- Associations Respond to McCaskill Sexual Assault Legislation
- COFAR Releases Frequently Asked Questions on OMB's Super Circular
- 2014 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 22-23, 2014
- 2014 Tax Forum
September 28-September 30, 2014
- 2014 Global Operations Forum
September 30-October 1, 2014
- 2014 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Fall
October 13-14, 2014
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: FASB's Proposed NFP Reporting Changes
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Global Operations Support and Compliance Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis