ED Provides Q&As on State Authorization
August 8, 2012
On July 27, the Department of Education published a Dear Colleague letter (GEN-12-13) with more details on what institutions must do to comply with state authorization requirements. Despite the recent court action vacating the ED regulation pertaining to state authorization for distance education, the letter notes that institutions remain responsible for complying with all state laws relating to distance education.
The letter answers questions on:
- When an institution needs to submit updated information about its state authorization to ED.
- Locations at which less than 50 percent of any program is offered.
- Consortia agreements with institutions in other states.
- Student complaints and consumer information.
The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) has surveyed the states to collect the information that institutions need to comply with the state authorization requirements and understand the various state requirements for out-of-state schools.
Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
Senior Policy Analyst
- NACUBO Statement on Endowment Inquiry
- NACUBO Urges One-Year Postponement of Changes to 1098-T Reporting Requirements
- GASB Addresses Asset Retirement Obligations and Seeks Field Testers
- 2016 Higher Education Accounting Forum
April 10-12, 2016
- 2016 CAO and CBO Collaborations
August 1-2, 2016
- 2016 Planning and Budgeting Forum
September 19-20, 2016
- WEBCAST: Legislative Lunchcast: A 30-Minute Washington Update from NACUBO
Monday, February 22, 2016 12:00pm ET
- WEBCAST: Responsibility Center Management: Two Different Perspectives
Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: Title IX: Key Issues Surrounding Institutional Compliance
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:00PM ET
- WEBCAST: The Clery Act: Strategic Planning to Mitigate Institutional Risk
Thursday, May 26, 2016 1:00PM ET
- ON-DEMAND: NACUBO Live! Results of the 2015 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis