ED Helps Institutions Determine Gainful Employment Programs
June 27, 2011
With the July 1 implementation deadline for most of the program integrity regulations rapidly approaching, the Department of Education has continued to receive numerous questions from institutions asking if certain programs are gainful employment programs. In response, on June 24 ED issued an Electronic Announcement with a series of questions and answers to help determine if programs qualify.
Prior to the June 24 announcement, ED published a Dear Colleague letter (GEN-11-10) on April 20 that clarified which programs at institutions were considered gainful employment programs. Following that, an Electronic Announcement was issued on May 20 correcting some information in the April 20 letter related to teacher preparation programs. Even with both documents providing substantial guidance, some campus officials were still confused, so the June 24 announcement largely reiterates and simplifies the earlier advice. ED summarizes its categorization of programs offered by nonprofit and public institutions as follows:
- All educational programs that lead to a degree awarded are not gainful employment programs.
- Virtually all non-degree educational programs are gainful employment programs.
Beginning July 1, institutions are required to provide new disclosures to students and prospective students about each gainful employment program offered, and must request approval from ED before offering new gainful employment programs in order for the program to be eligible for federal student aid.
ED has created a comprehensive Gainful Employment resource page complete with copies of the regulations, Dear Colleague letters, Electronic Announcements , and a series of FAQs.
- Tuition Increases Slow, While Student Loan Borrowing Declines, College Board Reports
- IRS Response to NACUBO on 1098-T Penalties Offers No Relief
- IRS Publishes Final Rules on Overpayments of Arbitrage Rebate on Tax-Exempt Bonds
- 2015 Intermediate Accounting and Reporting - Winter
January 22-23, 2015
- 2015 Endowment and Debt Management Forum
February 4-6, 2015
- 2015 Unrelated Business Income Tax
February 25-27, 2015
- ON-DEMAND: How to Build, Develop, and Support a Compliance Program at Your Institution
- ON-DEMAND: Strategic Tuition Assessment and Tuition Restructuring
- ON-DEMAND: Are Shared Services Right for Your Organization – The KU Journey
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: 2014 Annual Meeting
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Student Financial Services Conference
- ON-DEMAND: VIRTUAL: Higher Education Accounting Forum
- A Guide to College and University Budgeting: Foundations for Institutional Effectiveness, 4th ed. - by Larry Goldstein
- NACUBO's Guide to Unitizing Investment Pools - by Mary S. Wheeler
- Managing and Collecting Student Accounts and Loans - by David R. Glezerman and Dennis DeSantis